Before you clean your MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thatguysmells, Dec 30, 2009.

1. thatguysmells macrumors regular

Do not wipe down your macbook pro with wipes that contain alcohol!!!!!! I have been using alcohol wipes to clean my MBP and the paint is starting to come off a bit. Not noticeable unless I really really look hard, but it is there. However, alcohol+detergent wipes work miracles on the glass screen.

Just passing along the info! ;)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

So it's automatically the alcohol wipes that are the problem? Chipping paint off the MBP has been a known issue for a while.

3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Where abouts is the paint on MBPs? :confused: I've never noticed this before myself.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

"Paint" in the vernacular is what Apple calls "anodizing." They use a special kind of paint, but it's not anodized in the academic (read: real) sense.

5. thatguysmells thread starter macrumors regular

Alcohol is KNOWN (do the research if you don't believe me) to take off paint. Our macbook pros are painted aluminum. The paint is not "chipping." I can clearly see on my MBP that it is coming off due to the rubbing motion from me cleaning my mbp with the alcohol pads.

@Ryan,

Every part of your macbook pros surface that is silver in color is painted aluminum. Except the track pad.

6. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Ah, I didn't realise that was paint. Thanks! :)

7. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

i used to use tesco's homebrand wet wipes, really cheap and they work a treat ;)

8. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I use tissues and water. Not that important what you clean a Mac with, as long as it does the job and doesn't damage your computer.

9. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

iKlear

I suggest iKlear. I know it's a little more, but it's the best cleaning product out there for Apple products and Apple endorses it.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Pictures? Other things can take off paint too, you know.

11. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I've been using 70% isopropyl alcohol for a year now with no damage done to my Alu MB. I'll take caution, but I do not believe alcohol reacts with aluminium. Then again, I'm not the wiser on their manufacturing process.

12. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

Alcohol is a solvent. Should be no surprise that it can remove paint.

Read your owners manual - specifically the part that says to ONLY clean it with a damp cloth and mild detergent (e.g. hand soap).

Caution: Simple Green causes corrosion on aluminum so you can't use that either.

Personally, I use just a lightly damp paper towel. Works great.

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

This. I thought everyone used iKlear or something but I guess ten dollars is too much to drop when you've just bought $2000 worth of machine. I laugh at the people who used wet (with hard water) paper towels and buffed out their matte screen like it was going out of style. I'm sure brillo pads made their way into the mix.

Microfiber and at the very least distilled water for me (actually i've gone through about 2 bottles of iklear and have 3 on my desk since I use it for all my apple products and electronics).

14. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

iKlear works wonders. I highly suggest shelling out the $10-20 and using it to take care of all your Apple products.

15. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The MBP's are not painted, they are hard anodized. Show me proof otherwise.

16. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Hmm, the pre-unibody MBP doesn't get damaged with alcohol.
    At least not mine! I'm using mine on a microbiology lab every day, and I do wash it in 70% ethanol at least once a week, no damage done so far.

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Anodization doesn't come off like this (old thread, but the Classic MBPs were advertised as "anodized" as well).

18. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

My mbp has some pretty bad dings and dents, no one which have peeled of any paint or something. If it's paint it's sure not peeling off :D