Before you start messing iCloud Photo Library

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by amro, Oct 21, 2014.

1. amro macrumors 6502

I suggest you get your photos on your iDevices copied over to a PC, just in case iCloud photo does something weird. I turned on iCloud photo library on my iPad mini and lost a whole bunch of photos which I could not see on iCloud.com. It only uploaded the 4 pictures I had in camera roll. Fortunately, I have a backup of all those pictures that were on the iPad, so I'm not completely mad ;)

Also, I found that when I connected my iPad to my PC to copy off the photos before trying this mess, I could not see all the photos. I used iExplorer to get all the photos off. It recreates all your folders from your iDevice on your PC. There may be other free programs, but this one was $35 and I feel it was worth it.

I just want to reiterate for you to copy off your photos before playing with iCloud photo library. The idea is good, but there are bugs and it will take a while to get them ironed out. Don't lose your photos over this.

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Given how unreliable iCloud can be, I wouldn't trust a beta version of an unreliable product with my photos.

I'm going to leave it on the old setting, and have photo stream download them into aperture.