Before you update...

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by mariusignorello, Sep 18, 2017.

?

How did your device update(s) go?

Poll closed Sep 21, 2017.
  1. Great! No issues.

86.8%
  2. Ok. Only encountered a few issues.

10.4%
  3. Not so good. Too many issues and it was a pain.

1.9%
  4. Could not update (due to severe issues, not out of preference).

0.9%
Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. mariusignorello, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited by mariusignorello: Sep 18, 2017

mariusignorello macrumors 68000

Here are some things to watch out for when you update your devices tomorrow:

- The update will most likely be released at 10 AM PST.
    - Update servers may be slow. Be patient.
    - Back up your devices first using any preferable method.
    - Have the update file (IPSW) saved to your computer (Mac or PC) if you are updating multiple devices of the same model identifier (eg iPhone8,1 this is not the iPhone 8, it is the 6s!).
    - Use Apple Configurator to update multiple devices with the same model identifier (see above).
    - Have your Apple ID credentials ready. Reset your password if you forgot it.
    - Don’t update your apps until you accept the new App Store terms and conditions. Apple updates these yearly following a major software update. This is the most common problem for not being able to update your apps on release day.
    - 32 bit apps are not supported. See the front page article for more information.
    - Report any and all bugs observed in the build issued.
    - Update the App Compatibilty thread with apps that offer new features in iOS 11.
    - If you have any issues or questions, ask and use Apple's support documentation. Don’t just write it off as “the update is broken” or “not working”. There will most likely be a thread similar to the ones for beta seeds with new features and bugs listed.

Please note that this thread is intended for those who are in fact updating to iOS 11. If you are not updating, refrain from posting and/or complaining. Update issues should be discussed here. Only offer tips, advice and positivity!

If I missed anything, please add it.

Good luck! :)

2. Sunshoopa macrumors 6502

Sunshoopa

3. anubis1980 macrumors 6502

4. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

- Have the update file (IPSW) saved to your computer (Mac or PC) if you are updating multiple devices of the same model identifier (eg iPhone8,1 this is not the iPhone 8, it is the 6s!).

How can I get the IPSW file ? Does it download to the library iTunes folder only if you do an update through iTunes ?
    I had a look in that folder but it's empty . OTOH I always (so far ) do OTA updates .

5. mariusignorello thread starter macrumors 68000

Good question. I purposely left out links to where you can get these files because other than the Developer portal, Apple
    does not make them available. A number of third parties (IPSW.me) provide links but the one I just named provides them directly from Apple’s servers. Be careful what source you use. The one I named is extremely safe because again, the files get downloaded from Apple. (appldwnld.apple.com)

It’s highly recommend to do an Erase Install for a major update which involves backing up and using iTunes or Configurator.

6. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

So IPSW.me or appldwnld.apple.com ?
    What's the difference between GSM and Global?

7. mariusignorello thread starter macrumors 68000

When you download a file from IPSW.me, it is coming from Apple’s servers (appldwnld.apple.com). They are merely posting the direct links.

8. keeper, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

keeper macrumors 6502

Mine is updating via iTunes.
    WARNING - Mine gave an error and went into recovery mode as it was starting the update on the phone and it froze.
    I had to force a power off and reconnect it to iTunes.
    Its either now updating or it putting IOS10 back on... At least it is responding and putting something on i'll see whats happened when its booted.....

It updated OK it IOS11

9. littleredwagen, Sep 19, 2017

littleredwagen macrumors member

Work 7 Plus Upgraded Fine
    Old Work 6s Plus Upgraded Fine
    Personal 7 Plus upgrading normally now

EDIT
    Personal 7 Plus (with data that has gone through many yearly upgrades) upgraded fine

10. mariusignorello thread starter macrumors 68000

Make sure you vote in the above poll!

11. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Upgraded on iPhone 7,iPhone 6,iPad Pro 10.5 and iPad Air 1 with no problem whatsoever .
    I didn't have the courage to do a clean install and dismay husbands and my devices OTA .

I'll nevertheless keep IPSW files somewhere...just in case ....

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Why? They don't do you any good

13. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

The only problem I’m having is that now none of my photos are showing up on my photos

14. mariusignorello thread starter macrumors 68000

You’d be surprised. I always keep the latest beta and previous beta on hand in case. And it’s good to have if you have a data cap or need to restore in a place where internet is not stable, but stable enough to verify the restore w/ Apple.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2017 ---
    Hmmm. Check iCloud and Photos settings.

15. Yptcn, Sep 19, 2017

Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

I did find a problem on my iPhone 7 which is not on the other devices ( Same settings) . The status bar icon is always on .

EDIT : After trying a few things , I changed the setting for Weather to "While using" and the icon is gone now .

16. ceparker27 macrumors member

ceparker27

No problems so far on my 6s. We'll see if that changes.

17. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

My 7 is completely bricked. Touchscreen totally useless. Won't power off.

18. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Have you tried a hard reboot ?

19. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

No problems on my 6S or Air2, everything is working well.

20. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

I've done the power and home hold. I'm at work so I haven't plugged into my mac. It's odd. The phone will ring but i can't answer. All icons are dead to touch. It won't power off at all.

21. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

iPad Mini 2 and iPhone 6s upgraded with no problems...

22. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

How do you find the performance of the Mini 2? Currently debating if I should upgrade mine.

23. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Just as smooth as 10.3.3...Safari scrolling for example is still smooth, animations look good, haven't found any issues so far at all

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.