Begging apple for a MBP with a 980m

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dma550, Oct 16, 2014.

1. dma550 macrumors 6502

Wow, I am drooling over the MSI GT72 with it's new GPU. I truly love how my MBP works with it's 750m, I am driving 2 2560*1440 screens and running parallels. Amazing machine, but would be more amazing with a gaming class GPU! Come on apple! Someone else out there must need this.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Never going to happen, it's TDP is higher than my entire rMBP with dGPU. Would be totally unfeasible.

Why would you avoid the dGPU? I wouldn't buy a rMBP without a dGPU, I'm really looking forward to Maxwell.

But if they can offer both dGPU and iGPU only options then we can both be happy. :)

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I'm wanting a Mac with Apple's own processors. :)

5. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Because the dedicated GPU's have a tendency to fail prematurely.

6. NICKXXXXXX macrumors regular

Mac Pro got AMD
    iMac got AMD
    Next Macbook will get AMD

7. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Why? It's one thing building a custom designed ARM SoC. It's a whole other ball game competing with Intel. Intel chips are great, can't see how Apple could do better.

Good job I got a free 3 year warranty with mine from Apple :cool:. So far though I have thoroughly abused my 750M and it's not gone wrong once.

Can't see it, AMD chips are good but they are definitely not efficient, that's one where Nvidia has nailed the market. Maxwell is a staggeringly efficient GPU, I'm just praying to the big fat sky fairy that they include something like an 850M in the Broadwell update.

8. seble macrumors 6502a

It tends to be after around 3 years that they fail. My old MBP 2006, failed 5 years in wit the GPU, on a rMBP without GPU, I won't be getting one with a dGPU for the foreseeable future.

9. sabbyp macrumors regular

With the switch back to ATI for the iMac lineup, we could well see mobile radeon chipsets in the next refresh.

I'd wager it's more likely to be something from the nvidia 800m series though

My plan is to wait until the price of thunderbolt pci-e bridges come down, then have a plug & play top-end gpu desktop solution for my current mbpr

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Nobody needs this

Nobody NEEDS this, gamers want it, apple don't make gaming machines, you can game on them sure but apple make not a single computer geared towards gaming it is just not their bag.

11. dma550 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hah, well I need it so I don't have to own 3 computers ;)

12. MacDevMike macrumors regular

A lot of students that play video games. And lets not forget that Apple sells video games on the Mac App Store. iMac had a M780 in it, and the retina has the two hottest mobile ATI cards available in the R9 290 and 295. I'd say Apple pays attention to its consumer market, and knows that a significant portion is students that might play games.

13. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Agreed, I would never have bought a rMBP if it didn't come with a decent dGPU. I used to build high end gaming rigs, now my Mac more than suffices.

It doesn't need to be a gaming laptop to be able to game well, the 750M is a great piece of silicon, I'm just hoping that the Broadwell refresh includes something like a GTX 850M or 860M - both of which should give atleast a 50% boost to FPS and both of which have a lower TDP than the 750M, everyone wins.

Thunderbolt PCI-e bridges really interest me too, would love to be able to hook up some cheap 970 GTX to this and get some serious gaming horse power. So far I've only seen some less than ideal home-brew solutions.

Well that's fine by me, A I have a three year warranty (for free) and B, I plan to sell as each subsequent update is launched.

14. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

If Apple includes a 980m, you can bet the farm that it will most likely be a modified chip, under-clocked, to make sure that the system it's in sticks to the specified energy profile as determined by Apple.

Whatever Apple does, it will most assuredly disappoint/upset somebody, somewhere, because you cannot please everybody. :D

15. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

It's just pointless to include it. It would need to be so underclocked in order to fit the laptops thermal and energy requirements you would be as well just using a lower end chip... Like the new GTX 850M or 860M which both fit the TDP and offer serious processing power for gaming.

16. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I could not agree with you more. I too sell and update with each subsequent update is released.

The 750m is a great chip, I'm looking forward to Broadwell and I'm hoping for a 9x but I would not be unhappy with an 8x GPU update.

-P

17. Stetrain macrumors 68040

MSI GT72 Thickness: 48mm
    15" rMBP Thickness: 18mm

18. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

The 800 and 900 series are basically the same thing. Nvidia's just being weird with it's numbering scheme again. They are both Maxwell - well aside from the 870 and 880, but the 850 and 860 both come in Maxwell varieties. The 970 and 980 are Maxwell. I think who ever is in charge of numbering Nvidia's GPU's has ran out of their pills again.

If they do release a 950/960M then hopefully they will be built with a newer 20nm fab rather than the old 28nm. That would really offer me a big reason to upgrade.

19. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

With the broad well variant I expect Apple to incorporate an overclocked 950m.

----------

Or a overclocked 950m if that exists.

20. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

do yourself a favor and look at the current 980M machines out there, see how thick they are? see how it goes against everything Apple is trying to do? (thin, lightweight laptops).. i agree it would be cool, but realistically it is not going to happen.

a 17" MacBook Pro Retina with 970M, now that would be a dream machine.. but sadly Apple uses GPUs made for Female facebook gamers.

21. dma550 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree, my last machine was an alienware m17xr3 with two 5870 gpus. I practically needed a handtruck to carry it around. Still, I would buy a 40mm thick macbook pro++.

I now have a custom built machine sitting next to me that has a 780gtx and it's amazing, but it's a pain to have two machines sharing a space and monitor.

22. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Oh yes, the overclocked 750m's that beat the 760m's in performance is totally JUST for females.

23. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

lol so whats a 'male Facebook' gamer video card then?

:p

24. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

a piece of hardware that can handle a bit more than just casual, low quality games.

25. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

I really wouldn't pay that much attention to the iMac and Mac Pro using AMD GPU's... Apple has for years been selling machines with GPU's from different manufacturers at the same time.

I also really doubt we'll see anything like the GTX 980M in anything but the iMac. The primary reason for this is that Apple is obsessed with having really good battery life in it's laptops while retaining (relatively) low weight and size. The only way to do this is trough energy efficiency and that pretty much rules out the high end GPU's.

In my opinion the mid range Maxwell's (like the GTX 860M) are probably a pretty good fit, but considering that Broadwell is supposed to bring another big jump in iGPU performance, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Apple dropped the dGPU models completely.