Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
After doing a bunch of research, it seems like for a beginner wanting to learn an electric guitar via GarageBand, the Lexicon Alpha or M-Audio Fast Track are decent enough interfaces to buy.

However, I did see another interface, cheaper on Amazon than the other two, that seemed to get good, but limited reviews. The Tascam US-100. I did not see many threads on this forum regarding this interface.

Is the Tascam US-100 comparable in quality to the Lexicon Alpha and M-Audio Fast Track, knowing I don't need anything fancy.

By the way, to learn the electric guitar on GarageBand, I don't need to buy a microphone for the interface, right? Just the audio interface and my electric guitar is all I really need, correct? (obviously assuming I just don't want to plug the guitar in directly to the iMac using a 1/4" - 1/8" cable -- which I read was just not very good at all).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
One more to consider might be the Line6 Tone Port UX1 or UX2... Here's a review of the UX 2.

http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/405439/review/toneport_ux2.html

I have the UX 2, which I got used via eBay for about $90 shipped. For basics, I don't think it makes much of a difference which one you get. The difference is mostly in the noise level / audio quality and in the perks you get (some of them, like the Line6 one, come with some cool effects processing toys, but GB has some of that stuff already).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.