Beginner database books

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by war eagle, Mar 24, 2011.

1. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Alright, so I'm taking a database course right now and i'm majoring in Management Information Systems. Our professor knows a lot about database but he is kind of all over the place and hasn't really given us a structure to really learn. I'm thoroughly interested in learning database but he just isn't helping me to learn it. I want to go outside of the classroom and try and teach myself how to do database.

Currently in class we are using the Oracle Application Express (APEX) to do things such as Table API's and Add, Edit,Delete, List functions. I'm confused about the entire APEX thing and I really just want to learn.

Does anyone have any suggestions of good books to get to try enhance my knowledge of database? Thank you.

2. leenak macrumors 68020

Is he teaching database theory? What is your course book?

For Oracle specific things, I found this link which seems pretty comprehensive
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex/overview/index.html

I like O'Reilly books in general if that is not what you are looking for though.

Databases though are more than just the commands, learning how to design the database is important. I say this as a non-database person.

3. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge