Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doomschneider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
i'm a student looking for a cheap, simple digital camera. nothing fancy. just something to take cute pictures of my friends and family with. the problem is, when i find them, they all have software that requires windows. ((you wouldn't think it'd be THAT difficult to move a jpg from a glorified floppy disk to a hard drive (the old cameras DID use floppies); in the end, it's just data, but i digress...)) i did some looking and people keep throwing out names like canon and whatnot to go with their mac, but i'm aiming waaaay lower than that.

does anyone know of a simple "beginner's" digital camera that i can use with my mac, or do i actually have to get a canon or something like that?

thanks in advance.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
How little are you planning to spend? A low end Canon can be had for ~$100.

Most cameras these days will present themselves in a way that will be compatible with OS X and Windows out of the box. Either a straight flash drive or a common camera mode. The Windows software is usually just basic processing stuff which you don't need just to take simple snapshots.

B

doomschneider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
thanks. i didn't think it should be that complicated. i guess i'm just worried because i got one that actually did need the software to get the photos onto the computer. it was a REAL cheapo though. (it's going back, by the way.) it got me kind of paranoid. so you're saying that the software is usually just extras then?

Aug 6, 2007
Assuming you have iPhoto on your Mac; transferring your photos from any digital camera that comes with a USB transfer cable will be incredibly easy! (or you could get a flash card reader)

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Assuming you have iPhoto on your Mac; transferring your photos from any digital camera that comes with a USB transfer cable will be incredibly easy! (or you could get a flash card reader)

Or just get a cheap HP PSC Photosmart printer that has the SD reader built in and you can do printing straight from the printer without the computer. (Very nice for printing easy 4X6 prints).

Of course iPhoto is a snap as it opens automatically with an SD card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.