Beginner DJ

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nigameash, Aug 5, 2009.

1. nigameash macrumors 6502

I have a mbp 2.4ghz, santa rosa model. I want to start off as a dj. Is there any simple mac dj'jing app for the mac which i can use as a newbie and one which will also help me learn!

Can I dj without any external hardware when I start off?

If i should need to buy an external sound card later, which one should i buy? Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio?

2. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

I haven't used it myself, but Mixxx is free (http://www.mixxx.org/). I'd give that a shot. Your built in sound card will work, but you won't have any headphone cue capabilities which is what you're really paying for with an external sound card.

When you're ready to buy a sound card I'd go with something better than Creative and better suited for your purpose. NI just released a new external box that looks promising with the Audio 2 DJ -- http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/audio-2-dj/

If you're get serious about DJ'ing with a laptop I'd really recommend their Traktor software along with one of the external sound cards and an external controller for the faders.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd use Djay. Virtual DJ is also an option. You can start without any external equipment, but I'd get it. There are many limitations I find with virtual only.

4. nigameash thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmm thanks! i dont have any issue with buying any software for dj'jing as long as it ll help me learn!

i tried virtual dj but i found it very basic! or maybe i just dont know how to work out all the controls yet :p

will traktor help me learn too?

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Oh, well Traktor or Scratch will be the options for non-casual use.

6. nigameash thread starter macrumors 6502

non casual use, all right! but for pros or n00bs? :p

7. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

You just have to jump in there and do i' -- that's the best way to learn. When I got a pair of turntables 15 years ago I just had to play and play and play (I can think of far worse things to do!) until I got it.

There's at least one guide on Amazon though and I'm sure someone has probably put out instructional videos. Check YouTube.

http://www.amazon.com/Traktor-DJ-St...6779/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1249496683&sr=8-9

8. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I like Djay. Allows you to scratch, mix, set cue points, etc. And it's fairly cheap at $49.

9. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been playing around with deckadance. It's the best free demo program I've tried. It's the easiest to use. I always tried out djay, Mixx, and dj1800 but they werent as good.

10. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Traktor.

I DJ myself from time to time. It's a great application. However, I still prefer CDs/Vinyl.

11. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

deckadance does not work in snow leopard! Now i'm trying too find all the files!

12. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

I have the disc but haven't upgraded yet. I gotta wait until I get home to dl the Traktor demo because the internet at my Uni isnt good enough. Traktor Pro demo looks like it has all the same features of Deckadance but is better.

13. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I'm not trying to download Deckadance again, I don't know if the install went well or where the files were put. It was supposed to be an 80 mg file, I didn't find even close to that size.

14. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Have you looked into Ableton Live, or AudioMulch yet? Those are two amazing programs, I personally find that AudioMulch is better for live, and Ableton is better for making mixes and mashups when you aren't live. Neither of these programs are extremely difficult to learn, and both are used by some of the best in the game. I know for a fact that Girl Talk (Greg Gillis) uses AudioMulch when he makes his albums and when he performs live.

Both of the programs do cost, but do have free trial periods, so you can determine which would be best for you. Or if you can afford it get both, because really they both have the ups and downs,

15. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

That sucks. Try the Traktor Pro demo.