Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merccyyy

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
I would definitely look into a refurb/used Canon 20D or 30D with a nice lens that you can get both from Potn. Definitely better then an entry-level nikon unless you can find some ridiculous deal for a D200 or pick up a D80.

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree :)

I would never want the camera to pick my settings which is why I only use TV or AV mode very rarely I shoot manual 99% of the time. I choose how I want the image to look, where to take my exposure from not the camera and this is how I would like it to stay :) Also any long exposure I need I use a tripod its the only proper way!

I think it kind of depends on the type of photography you're interested in, or what you are doing with the camera at the time, doesn't it? When I'm planning a shot like a landscape on a tripod, of course I'll shoot manual. I get full control over what I'm capturing, and the subject is always going to be there.

When I'm walking around, shooting things of interest; when I'm in a fast moving environment, maybe doing "street photography"; I shoot in "P". The last thing I want to be doing is setting exposure while the subject is changing, or when the scene may only be there for a split second. It doesn't matter if the exposure is perfect, if the shot you were after is gone.

Tools. The different settings are tools. Each will fit best for certain situations. Use the tool that fits the situation the best. Which leads back to the original question. ANY tool that the OP is considering will do what he wants it to. Therefore, he should pick the one that fits closest to his way of working. That will make it a joy to use, and he will use it more often and his enjoyment will thrive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.