Beginner help with web coding

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by deriko100, Oct 5, 2008.

1. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Hey im a beginner in developing web based items like learning how to code and use apps like dreamweaver or rapidweaver a book or a online guide would be ok not that hard please im a starter and dont want extremely hard stuff sorry if this is in the wrong thread and please dont flame. Thanks Bye. :D

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Imho, one of the best ways to teach yourself the craft is to start with templates. You can search and find plenty of them. Find something you like and tweak it, then get into the code.

Personally, I don't recommend starting out trying to learn html to write a webpage, it's like reinventing the wheel. :)

4. deriko100 thread starter macrumors 6502

and use what app to edit the templates ?

5. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I like Smultron (free), but it's not wysiwyg. My app of choice is Microsoft Expression Web, if you happen to have it at your disposal. Rapidweaver, which I have only investigated, seems not to allow importing of existing sites. Dreamweaver is for the pros, or at least someone who's been doing it a lot!

Hopefully, you'll get a few more responses with more helpful info. I've only been working on OSX for about 6 months now, so I'm not the best authority on the subject.:eek:

Good luck, and have fun!

6. deriko100 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the posts i guess ill start with templates and work my way up to pro-coding any books would be helpful too.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

8. deriko100 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks and ill check there

9. montanachad macrumors regular

montanachad

BBEdit 9!!!!! I tweak templates too. It's easy way to learn hand coding. I'm not much of an artist though, so design is not my specialty.

10. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

Don't start with DreamWeaver. It's got a bloated user-interface. Start off with freebie apps like jEdit, TextWrangler. If you like web development after a month or so, get Coda.

For learning, go to http://css-tricks.com and http://tizag.com

Just about everything you need for now.

11. deriko100 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks will try those, WOW Coda costs 99 dollars is it that good? I have seen people with it in their docks but so much cash for a program lol.

12. memco macrumors 6502

The program you use depends entirely on what works for you. You can use textedit if you like, but it doesn't offer any features to help you see or understand what's going on. I like smultron because it's free and powerful (may not be WISYIG, but it does have a built in live preview). To me, Coda is too expensive and Dreamweaver is too complicated (it overthinks things sometimes).

http://www.sitepoint.com is a useful place to learn a lot of good practices especially in regards to CSS. They have several books, which you might want to look at, one being "Build Your First Website." They offer free sample chapters, which you might want to look at because those should be enough to get you started in and of themselves.

13. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

Coda may have discounts during Macworld. It used to cost $79