Beginner here needs some quick help

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by itsthetouch, Jan 20, 2008.

1. itsthetouch macrumors member

I was just wondering if theres a thread or a site or something with a tutorial on how to create your own springboard theme, where I can use different icons and stuff. I searched but all i found was for how to on Windows. I have a Mac so if anyone can just point me in the right direction. Thanks!

2. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

3. itsthetouch thread starter macrumors member

4. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Always best to check ;)
    What you first need is SummerBoard which you can download via Installer. Once you have that you then SFTP into the iPod and navigate to /Library/SummerBoard/Themes and then in the Themes folder you need to create a folder for your theme to go in. In that folder you need 3 things. These are a wallpaper image if you want a custom wallpaper called 'Wallpaper.png'. If you want a custom Dock then create the image and name it 'Dock.png' and lastly you need a folder called 'Icons'. In there is where all of your custom icons are placed. To replace an icon, say the Safari icon, create a new icon and then name it 'Safari.png'. It's the same for other apps such as Maps would be 'Maps.png.
    Here's some further reading http://www.apptapp.com/summerboard/

5. itsthetouch thread starter macrumors member

6. Darkjenso macrumors regular

step 1: via installer, install OpenSSH that creates the serving of your ipod

step 2: download a FTP client, cyber duck for mac works perfectly

step 3 connect your ipod to your wireless network and go into settings > Wi-FI and click on the little blue icon to the right of your network name in the list, that will bring up the details of your ipods connection, take a note of the ip address

Step 4: if you are using cyber duck, select SSH from the drop downbox, and enter the username as "root" and the password as "alpine" and enter the ip address of your ipod into the IP address field. Press connect.

it may take a bit of time to get started at first and take a few attempts to connect but it will in the end. another tip would be to download into your ipod, Services , this allows you to tern SSH on or off as it can drink battery power a bit

7. itsthetouch thread starter macrumors member

8. itsthetouch thread starter macrumors member

sorry one more question....when i added an icon to my icon folder...like "Settings.png" and i look at it on my ipod theres nothing there its blank..whatd i do wrong?

9. itsthetouch thread starter macrumors member

HELP! Did i just brick my ipod??? Its stuck on the apple screen when u start it up with the loading swirly icon. and its just stuck there. What do i do????

10. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

You cant brick an iPod Touch.
    You may have moved a folder or file accidently when SFTP'ing.

Looks like you are gunna have to restore, of mess around with the file structure trying to find an abnormality.

11. itsthetouch thread starter macrumors member

Ahh thanks a lot man. Got it. Good thing i didnt panic:p