Beginner here: No Mountain Lion Disc?

tracid

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Hi,

First time macbook pro user here and I just got my refurbished 13" MBP. It didn't come with a physical cd of Mountain Lion. I want to upgrade to an ssd in the future and it got me wondering if there's something I'm missing here.

Thanks in advance.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Why would you assume everyone on here is a guy?
Unfortunately, most people assume everyone on here is a guy. Even though I'm clearly not (demi-goddess, hello?) I still get called dude, bro. guy, etc. Sometimes I correct them, usually I just ignore it. That's what you get for being female in a tech forum.

MaxPower72

macrumors 6502
Because of the nature of the forum - It is true that the ratio of guys to girls is leaning heavily toward the former... :eek:

...But there are the odd ones out of course :D
It's actually nice to have ladies around here... as you said the nature of the forum makes us assume we are all
:apple:bros... :D

----------

Unfortunately, most people assume everyone on here is a guy. Even though I'm clearly not (demi-goddess, hello?) I still get called dude, bro. guy, etc. Sometimes I correct them, usually I just ignore it. That's what you get for being female in a tech forum.

I guess that I should pay more attention to nicknames and avatars, like yours for example...

No dude would call himself Sweetbrat and be a Demi-Goddes LOL

andymac2210

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
I've always wondered, what if a first time mac buyer wants to do a complete reinstall on a new HDD or SSD and their own HDD has broken and they have no time machine backup?
How do they get a new copy of ML to install on it?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I've always wondered, what if a first time mac buyer wants to do a complete reinstall on a new HDD or SSD and their own HDD has broken and they have no time machine backup?
How do they get a new copy of ML to install on it?
The recovery partition will help in that case, links in post #2 and #3 explain further details.

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
Not comfortable with these Internet Recovery stuff. Last time I tried this, and surprised surprised, my Internet got flaky on me and it took 2 days instead of 2 hours. Always want to have a self-contained recovery method.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Not comfortable with these Internet Recovery stuff. Last time I tried this, and surprised surprised, my Internet got flaky on me and it took 2 days instead of 2 hours. Always want to have a self-contained recovery method.
That's also covered by the links in posts 2 and 3.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Follow this process (it works for Mountain Lion also) to snag the installer image for your machine from Apple's servers. Then use this free app with an 8GB USB key to make yourself a USB installer. This way if you do have to reinstall and you are not on a good Internet connection, you can just use the USB key to install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.