Beginner needs help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by squareformat, Oct 22, 2011.

1. squareformat macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I have a G5 Power PC

It is running incredibly slow, Apps and Internet

If I reinstall my Leopard onto the hard drive, will I lose my apps?

I did a permissions repair and there were a lot of Permissions that differed

There were warnings about SUID had been modified and not repaired

There were warnings about ACL found but not expected on Applications/Utilities

There were warnings about ACL found but not expected on Applications

I AM TOTALLY LOST AND CONFUSED

I need advice

Blessings,

Squareformat

2. simsaladimbamba

Mac OS X: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore

When you reinstall Mac OS X 10.5, you can either do an Archive & Install, and move the old install into a Previous Systems folder, from which you can copy data later, or you can do an Erase and Install, which deletes all data on the volume/partition you want to install Mac OS X onto.

Regarding the "slowness":

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

To learn more about Mac OS X:

3. squareformat thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate your quick response!

I am obviously oblivious to what I am looking for.

How will I know who the culprit is?

Blessings,

Squareformat

4. squareformat thread starter macrumors newbie

I am unable to launch Mail, Firefox or Safari.
    I am connected via a router which is up and running just fine, in fact there is another computer able to connect with no problems

How frustrating!

5. drorpheus macrumors regular

If you reinstall Leopard from scratch it should clear up all your problems (when you install choose erase and install from the options), you will lose everything that's currently installed on the hard drive. Back up your important files music movies work whatever before you do a fresh install, and make sure you have the installers for all the apps you currently have running, or re aquire them if you don't. After a clean install it should run like new. But again if you have software that you no longer have discs/installers for you will lose them. Cloning the drive with everything on it will only carry over whatever problems you currently have.

6. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

If it's running really slow it could be a few things:

1. Bad hard drive - (If it's clicking or crunching)
    2. Not enough ram
    3. Leopard - I would not recommend leopard on anything below the dual 2.0Ghz
    with 4GB ram (My experience)

4. The operating system could need a re-install

And yes, when you reinstall leopard it completely wipes your computer to factory settings - so everything is deleted (Even apps!)

7. stroked Suspended

stroked

Number 3 is very wrong. Any G5 will run Leopard very well.

8. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

nah, number 3 is kinda right.. ive installed leopard on a G5 Imac 1.8ghz with 1gb ram and it just doesnt run nicely.. but yeah id say 4gb is high for min spec, id drop that to 2gb ram.

id recommend minium specs for Leopard as single 1.8ghz, with minimum 2 gb ram. Yeah you can run it with less spec than that, but its frustrating..

to the OP, mate, you might wanna tell us exactly what Power PC mac you have :) including specs pls. :)

9. stroked Suspended

stroked

Oh come on, my lowest specked G4, a Quicksilver, has half the processor and RAM, and Leopard runs great on it. I just turned it on and it booted in 42 seconds, and Firefox opens just as fast as my C2D iMac. I have 4 other G4s running leopard just fine too.