beginner question about code signing and profiles

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by vandeput24, Jul 3, 2011.

1. vandeput24 macrumors newbie

Jul 3, 2011
    dear members,
    We've just released our first app in the appstore. getting it in the store took longer than building the app.
    our starting points:
    - we build different apps all using the same bundle identifier ( for example

Questions i face each time is:
    - can i use one single AppID for multiple apps and used use a different appname in xcode 4?

- how can i work with one disttribution profile (when submitting always get code signing error)?

- when creating the app in the store and i have a build for iphone and a build for ipad can i use one app for this?

thanks for a good explanation because i need a week to get this going each time

2. DennisVar macrumors newbie

Jun 21, 2010
    Each of your applications should have its own bundle ID. You specify it in the provisioning portal and then in your plist.

For example:

Then, you can create a Distribution certificate for each app. You'll need to download it and double-click to add to Xcode.

And yes, you can have the same app work for iPhone and iPad. This is what's called a "universal" app. Your app will need to accomodate both screen sizes and different UI APIs available to each.
  3. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Actually, I believe you have the option to do one distribution profile with a wild-card, that all your bundle identifiers will match. More info at the Provisioning Portal.