Beginner Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by berdar, Sep 23, 2011.

1. berdar macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I want to say that I'm a new MacBook Pro user and that I love MacRumors. You guys rule. I have a couple issues/questions though.

I know that that WIFI connectivity is an issue with Macbooks but have a question there. Do most people get booted from their wireless connection and have to reconnect or do you stay connected but not get any data transfer. I'm having just that issue. I'm getting at least a 50% (usually more) signal strength but have periods where i get no data transfer. Usually I have to disconnect and reconnect to the router to get the transfer going. Any ideas there?

I've noticed in Apple Mail that it will occasionally download a butt load of messages. Like it will say that it is downloading 3000 messages or something. I thought at first that this was my gmail synching up with Mail, but after a couple of weeks, I see large numbers in the mail activity box? What gives here?

Thanks in advance

B

2. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

In regards to your mail, it sounds like all your old mail and junk mail is being processed onto your laptop.

As for the wifi issue, have you used a different laptop on the router before? Also are you running lion or snow leopard? If lion, you could have problems arising because you may of not have done a "clean" install.

3. berdar thread starter macrumors newbie

Will all this extra email and junk mail slow down Apple mail? Can I stop some of the excess from being downloaded?

My Macbook is brand new, only a month or so old. It's running Lion. My roomate is using his MacBook on the same router. He gets no issues at all with seemingly faster page loads, etc.

Thanks for your response, I'm sorry for such dumb questions.