Beginner Setup - MacBook + guitar + keyboard = fun?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by HoldFastHope, Feb 23, 2008.

1. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

Hey guys, sorry for the n00b questions. Did a quick search but couldn't really find any answers to this.

I'm looking to start using my new mac (MB or MBP, still deciding) to start recording demos and make/mix some electronic music. Will be recording direct guitar and hopefully a USB keyboard. Eventually I'd love to be able to integrate my creations into a live band setting (a la receiving end of sirens), but for now I just need entry level stuff.

I'm looking at the M-Audio KeyStation 49e which I've heard is good quality for the price, but I have no idea what sound card to get. I've learnt through experience with guitar gear to stay away from Behringer, but something around that price (AU$) would be awesome.

I'm also concerned with the process for recording on the MacBook... presumably I should be using the firewire port for the sound card which means I'll need to record directly on to an external USB drive. Will it be ok to record directly on to a USB HD instead of a firewire drive, given that firewire is preferred for sound work? Obviously this won't be an issue on the MBP.

Thanks guys!

2. Crossbone macrumors regular

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

USB is fine for a 1 or 2 channel interface, but always record to a firewire drive. also, even if you have only 1 firewire port, you can daisychain your interface and drive(s) on it w/o an issue.

yeah, stay away from Bear-ringer.

i've got an m-audio USB keyboard, and it's fine for what it is. regarding interfaces, you get what you pay for. also, pick your software first, then your hardware. if you decide to go w/ PT, then m-audio is a decent enough entry-level interface. but if you go w/ a different DAW, i think you can get better bang-for-the-buck w/ a different company, like presonus or MOTU.