Beginner

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jmor, Nov 21, 2010.

1. jmor macrumors 6502

Hey, I've just started to really consider getting a new, good camera. I've played with my dad's before, and I'm hoping to move up from the point and shoot world. I would like something relatively small that I can take out with me to different events without a hassle. Also, I'm not a big person, so the smaller the better. So whats a good beginner camera, besides Pentax k-x (I've heard and looked into this one, just looking for some other options). I'm looking for some comparison, are there other good cameras for a novice to get started with? I would like something on the lower price end, I wouldn't mind having to look used or something? But something small and cheap, because this is only my first camera to play around with and get used to taking some real photography. Thanks for any replies, and sorry as I'm SURE you've all been asked this a 100 times.

2. jeevesofRKdia macrumors member

Obligatory first question:

Budget?

Obligatory preliminary suggestions:
    Nikon - D3000/D5000
    Canon - T1i/T2i/XS
    Pentax - K-X
    Sony - The one with an alpha on it. :p

3. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Get the same brand camera as your dad so that you can share lenses, and then buy a used body of that make. That is your most cost effective option.

4. jmor thread starter macrumors 6502

I was hoping to stay under $500 and I'm not sure what kind my dad has but his is really old and I believe my brother has it at his house now, so I'm not sure what the status of that is so the same brand is not necessary.

But if you could stay more toward $400 or even $350 that would be great, I could maybe swing 500 though.

5. jmor thread starter macrumors 6502

Nothing on the lower end anyone can suggest???

Either way from the ones listed above what makes one better than another?

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

Go to a camera store, and talk to clerks. Find one where they aren't on commission and/or ask around to find a store with a good reputation. Their job is to match the right camera up to a customer. They also will ask you questions like (and more importantly than budget) what you intend to do with the photos, what kind of photos do you like to take, etc.

A good store will make you feel comfortable, and they won't pressure you into a buying "right now". They will know what deals and rebates are about to be announced, or which products are about to be superseded (resulting in close out prices).

They'll also let you pick up and play with the camera. Sometimes the choice boils down to what feels good in the hand.

At the very high of cameras, they will let you "rent" the camera - and then credit the rental towards the purchase price if you actually buy it. This gives you a chance to see how it performs in your actual situation.

Good Luck

7. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

as the previous poster pointed out finding a good camera store is key, not just for your first DSLR but for everything down the line, filters, lenses, flashes etc, i am a nikon guy so i would have to recommend the D3100 or D3000, its a pretty sweet little camera, the only way i can see you staying around the $300 - $400 range is buy only a body or buy used. I spent $700 about 2 years ago when i bought my first DLSR a Nikon D60 and it was an amazing little camera, but it was lacking a lot of little things and i have recently moved up to the D90 and i kept my lens from my D60 a 18-55 mm AF VR lens and purchased 2x more lenses used, a 70-300mm ED, and 28-105 AF with macro setting, for $300, so watch kijiji, craig's list and see what comes up. Its a tough thing buying your first DSLR but once you do you will know why we all use them =D

Also keep in mind as expensive as the lenses are you gain a collection and just change up the body. They are worth the investment.