Beginner's Book for the New MacIntosh User

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jparker402, Aug 11, 2016.

1. jparker402 macrumors member

I really would like to have a basic book to use in learning to use my new MacBook Air with El Capitan. I know there are YouTube tutorials and such, but I like to have a book laying open to reference. Was hoping some of you would have some suggestions.

Doing a little searching on line I have identified perhaps three basic types. First, there are several I have seen that are dedicated to people switching from the PC to the Mac. I doubt that would be helpful because I get the impression that the writer may be assuming I know a lot more about the PC than I actually do. Second, there are book that seem to be dedicated to Macs in general. And third, there seem to be books dedicated to a specific Mac operating system. I have no idea which of these would be the best, but am eager to explore options. And please don't feel shy about recommending a specific book and/or a specific author.

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is just the book for you by David Pogue. His books are excellent.

3. jparker402 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Looked it up on the internet and am impressed from the index that the Amazon site previewed. Just one question/comment. Since the author specifies "El Capitan", may I assume that this doesn't somehow imply I know about the previous version; because I sure don't. But at the same time, will the book still be of some good if/when I install the next version?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You won't need to know anything about the previous OS X versions to use this book. It will start from scratch and show you how to use the OS. The next OS version Sierra coming out this fall will have some changes, but not so much that you will be lost. It is mostly new features added and not too much is changing about how things are done.