Beginners help request for G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Rikkitic, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Rikkitic macrumors newbie

I have a fair bit of Windows experience but I am an absolute novice where Apple is concerned. I need to get some software working on a G4 iBook running OSX Tiger 10.4.11. I have no understanding whatsoever of this OS and would be very grateful for a walk-through in baby steps. If this is the wrong place to make such a request, maybe someone could point me in the right direction. What I am trying to do is get Soylatte Java 6 to work on this machine. I have unpacked the software and copied it to the users folder but I cannot seem to get the Export PATH and JAVA_HOME commands to work in Terminal in order to make the system use Java 1.6 instead of 1.5. I have spent a lot of time researching this but that has only served to increase my confusion. It is supposed to be a simple thing to do but I have so little understanding of the way things work that even simple seems to be beyond my grasp. I would really appreciate some help here.

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Just looked at the project on the web.
    Your Mac uses the PowerPC processor.
    The SoyLatte documents I found say the project is for Intel processor.

So, It can't work on your Mac.

If I'm missing something, give me some links, and I can help.
    The links I've seen have file names that include "i386 or x86" - these mean for the Intel processor.

3. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

4. gsahli, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Hey, thanks for that.
    Still won't work (probably, that is). It's for 10.5. Significant changes in Xcode.
    But I'm downloading it to check it out.

Note - ya, the docs say it doesn't build on 10.4.
    So, no go - unless you want to try 10.5 (I won't, because I want to keep appletalk and Classic).

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Uhm, I can understand Classic, but all my 10.5 Macs use Appletalk all the time.

It's only 10.6 that killed Appletalk. And even then I'm not so sure. I have 10.4 and 10.5 Macs at work that are only sharing via Appletalk and the 10.9 Yosemite Mac Pro connects to them just fine.

I do have to use one of the Macs as an Appletalk print server for the Mac Pro though. I was using one of the 10.4 Macs for that, but 10.5 has a much better implementation of printer sharing.

6. gsahli, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Oh, ya - thanks for that.
    I use Classic for my Newtons (appletalk connection) - should have said that piece. And for a couple of expensive (to replace) or discontinued apps, too.
    And my MDD (10.4) is also a print server for an old reliable Laserwriter 4/600

(the file sharing that Mavericks can connect to is Apple Filing Protocol - name changed from appletalk filing protocol - it doesn't use appletalk)

7. Rikkitic thread starter macrumors newbie

I finally understand that what I was trying to do is not possible. I did not pay sufficient attention to the distinction between powerpc and i386. Thanks for the help anyway.

8. J232022 macrumors member

To be honest get a intel based mac or a cheap pc . You will be much happier .