Beginner's question, best movie file type to download for good quality?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by denz455, Jan 17, 2008.

1. denz455 macrumors member

denz455

this is a stupid question, i just need a bit of help.
    Ive heard mp4 files are the ones to find when downloading video clips from search engines (Limewire).
    could someone help me out.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Judging video quality by the filetype makes as much sense as judging an automobile by its color. There are high-quality video files available in just about every video format. There are also poor-quality video files available in each format. If you are acquiring your files over Limewire, then video quality is not the No. 1 consideration. The top consideration for downloadable video is usually filesize. A format like .mp4 will be higher quality than a .wmv of the same filesize. However, the poster is more likely to take advantage of the fact that a .mp4 file will be substantially smaller than a .wmv of the same quality.

Know your source. Some download sites specialize in quality video. Their files will be high quality irrespective of the format.

3. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

That's a hard question to answer. It's more about the bitrate than the format itself. I guess look for higher filesizes (as an indication of higher bitrate)? MP4 can be pretty good.