Beginning a review/survey site?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mic575, Feb 8, 2010.

1. mic575 macrumors newbie

I am thinking of starting a website which at its core will contain user reviews of products such as the reviews that exist on Amazon and others. I think I would want to register users before they can look at and post reviews etc. I am hoping it will grow over time.

Can I create something like this in iWeb, or use a DIY site or should I hire someone to create it from scratch?

Regarding hosting – if it grows it might take on advertising-does this impact how I choose to host or how I go about getting started?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

iWeb is definitely not the right tool, not even close. From the questions you're asking I'm going to say you need to hire someone because you're already over your head.

One piece of advice, don't make people sign up just to see the reviews. You'll never get the site started up that way. People simply won't stick at the site long enough to see why they should create an account.

The advertising and hosting are completely separate concerns. They can be handled individually.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...so why would they go to your site instead of just going on Amazon, which will most likely be the first search result anyways?

4. mic575 thread starter macrumors newbie

The products are specialized and don't exist on amazon.

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

What you are talking about requires alot of back-end server side scripting. Especially if you don't want to end up with a bunch of spammers using it.

iweb is definitely not enough to do what you want.

design, make the site...sure...but all the comments/logins etc are not going to be done in html.