Beginning Film

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by spookie29, Feb 23, 2010.

1. spookie29 macrumors newbie

Hi. Im a beginning film student, well i havent begun just yet cause im currently in school for other studies, but im planning on going next semester to begin it. Im naturally a photographer and i was used to having to manually adjust my settings and using a light sensor because my ancient Yashica camera didnt work properly. I really need to find a good starting camera for me to begin with and get used to. I was looking at a Panasonic HDC-HS300K because it was small, able to attach different lens, had a built in 120GB hdd which i thought would be good for convience and i thought it would help to get me started in just trying and experiment with different camera angles and stuff. But after googling which kinda equipment i should get i found this site and this forum on here and there were many recommendations.
    now id like to be able to edit and work with the film on a mac so that is why i was looking for one that had a built in hdd, easy transfer ykno. now i honestly dont care about the if its hd or sd, makes no difference because id rather gain experience and earn myself a really good creativity to work with either one so that doesnt matter to me. i dont mind tapes either, i just figured digital media would be easier to transfer around. so if anyone can help me thatd be great. im hoping to stay under maybe 4000 total for camera and any other equipment id need.
    please help!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

When you wrote 4000, do you mean 4000SUD and just for the camera alone?

What about the Panasonic HVX 200 or the JVC broadcast cameras or the Sony EX series?

With that kind of money you can get a decent semi-professional camera with interchangeable lens system that should be usable for the next five to ten years.

Or if you wanna go the SD direction, what about the Panasonic DVX 100B? It records to miniDV tape and can process progressive footage.

Also consider editing your thread title to convey what you really want, as yours is just skimming the surface. And please format your original post (OP) for better readability, as of know it is quite hard to read without proper punctuation and breaks.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message. Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

for film students, I can't recommend enough a used DVX100b... it is the perfect student camera. SD mini-DV, 24p, very reliable/well-built cam.

the DVX has great manual controls to learn on and XLR inputs to learn proper audio recording. i'll say it again; the DVX is the perfect camera for a student on a budget.

4. Seo macrumors regular

If your entire budget is 4k, then you certainly cannot afford an HVX200 or similarly priced prosumer camera. A used XH A1 would be best. In addition to that, you'll need a lighting kit, tripod, audio kit, and all the other essentials. I suggest you check out DVXuser and HV20.com, the latter of which I frequent (under the same username as this account).