Beginning iPhone Programming

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by pchipchip, Oct 31, 2011.

1. pchipchip macrumors regular

Ok so I have learned Objective C and I understand how to use it and stuff, but I am still not as experienced as I would like. I was wondering if there was a way to "practice" I guess. Just some simple apps to create to learn and understand how to do different things. So if you have any suggestions then let me know! Thanks

2. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

What did you use to learn Objective-C? Did you learn about Cocoa Touch?

3. pchipchip thread starter macrumors regular

Not really. I don't think so. I watched and followed the Stanford class on iTunes U after I read a book about Objective C programming.

4. smashatom macrumors newbie

Would highly recommend joining as an Apple developer - you should get access to all the documentation and tutorials without having to pay the US$99 (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Go through the tutorials. The material from past WWDC with sample codes and working apps are really helpful for "practice".

5. pchipchip thread starter macrumors regular

I am a registered apple developer. What tutorials?

6. smashatom macrumors newbie

7. pchipchip thread starter macrumors regular

8. smashatom macrumors newbie

I learned BASIC when I was 10 years old in 1986 and haven't really stopped since. :D

9. pchipchip thread starter macrumors regular

Ok well I am in high school and I am trying to learn how to program to make iPhone apps and make some cash and a solid job in the future. So let me know if you have any tips or anything from when you learned.

10. firewood macrumors 604

A book of programming problems would be a good way to test and stretch your skils with Objective C.

11. pchipchip thread starter macrumors regular

like what book?

12. larswik macrumors 68000

Books weren't quite enough for me. After reading a book on C I took a class at city college on Pascal. Every week we would have assignments that we would have to figure out. The best thing I got from this class was structure and how to start to approach programming and breaking up big problems in to small ones. I am now taking the Java class which is an object oriented language. Much of it is very similar to Objective C and is also based off of C. You should have a good understanding of C.

Tonight's assignment was to create 4 Arrays of type String and call them noun. verb, prepositions and articles. Add 5 words to each array so the verb array contained only verbs and so on. Then use a random number generator to select 1 word from each array and concatenate them into 1 string. Then find a way to make the first letter upper case and put a period at the end. Then use a for loop to create 20 different sentences.

This took me an hour to do and was a good exercise. You might try to do that and see how it works out for you. This is the kind of programming you should learn before trying to make interfaces in my opinion.

13. pchipchip thread starter macrumors regular

That seems a bit difficult for me now. What is just one of the really basic things that you learned?

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Forgive me if this seems too blunt but if that seems too difficult, I'm not sure you've really learned Objective-C yet.

Perhaps you missed it, but I'd venture to say:

15. pchipchip thread starter macrumors regular

Oh sorry. You are right. I guess I am kind of learning Objestive C right now. That is what I need help with.

16. pchipchip thread starter macrumors regular

Learning iPhone programming

I want to eventually program my own iPhone apps. I am trying to teach myself because i dont want to go to a class or anything and i am only in high school so it is not offered at my school. I have already read a book about Objective C programming on the Mac, but I didn't learn much from it. I am wondering how I should start learning if I want to program for the iPhone. I an hoping for a way that will not take an extremely long time because I am in high school and I do not have a lot of extra time on my hands. And yes I do know that I can't just learn how to program in a day or something. I know it takes time but I just want an easy way to learn. Please let me know. Thanks

17. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

DIdn't you make a topic about this some days ago? If you check the history of this forum, nearly every day people come to this forum asking for a quick fix on learning Objective-C / Cocoa Touch. Well there isn't, sure, you can teach the basics of Cocoa-Touch in a weekend, and slap some apps together, but to get through the whole Objective-C and really, and i mean really understand it, only helps with practising all the frikking time. Or have alot of experience in other programming languages (which due your post, i don't think you have).
    Needs alot of courage to start from OO Programming etc.
    So just grab some books and be prepapred that it will take a while if you want to make apps, (and i mean just normal apps, not the full epic ones you see on the store). Not trying to bust your bubble, but i see alot of people askin, and mostly, you never hear from them again.

18. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

one things for sure, it aint easy at all. there is no easy way.

im 3 months in with absolutely no programming experience.

i read a beginners book Xcode iPad essentials 4.0, which was very good, but didn't explain anything about the language, and the only thing that really got me through was because there were people around me that are programmers but arnt objective-c programmers or iOS programmers, but they basically get the programming slang/lingo.

I'm thinking of getting the book objective c - big nerd ranch. as i heard was good for absolute beginners because it covers almost everything. i need to know what everything REALLY means, rather than "oh this code changes this, and this changes that" because i have hard time doing new things and i always have to research,

where as the people that do have programming experience know what to do even though their not familiar with the iOS language.

19. 1458279 Suspended

I'd say yes on the BNR book, the version I have is the older version of xcode, but the book is still good.

20. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I don't understand why everyone acts like this is so hard.

Step 1:
    Read The C Programminf language. It's a white book with a big blue C in the middle. It's over 20 years old. Learn all the topics of chapter 1. The other chapters have more to teach when you're ready, but it's not critical that you learn that stuff to program.

Step 2:
    Watch Stanford free iOS programming videos available on iTunes U.

That is it. Within 100 hours of effort (don't forget to do the exercises assigned throughout steps 1 and 2), you should be capable of writing your own iPhone apps. Will you know everything? No, but you'll know enough and you'll know where to go to learn more.

21. iHutch105 macrumors member

There's no easy way to learn. People are all different and some people grasp certain concepts and skills better than others.

Please don't take offence, but I think you're problem is you're being too hasty. There's a post from a day or two ago of yours that states you've read an Obj-C book and you understand it. Yet in this post you say you don't. I can't help but feel you may be rushing yourself a bit.

The only thing that'll help you learn to program is time, effort and patience. Programming languages are like any other languages; they have rules in terms of syntax and semantics. You can't expect to skim through a German dictionary in a few days and then compose a German novel. Programming languages are the same. You have to put in the time and it's almost certain that you won't completely know everything (think of it this way: you're never going to know every work in the English language) but, in time, you'll know enough to get by and you'll constantly build upon that to improve your skills.

There's a million other posts here that will recommend which books/websites to use, so I'd refer to one of those for materials. The one thing people struggle with, probably more than the actual languages, is actually persisting in terms of time and willpower.

22. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 for the Big Nerd Ranch Objective-C book.

A friend of mine got it and I looked through it and it looks like a fantastic beginner book. It starts with C, moves to Objective-C and then to Cocoa.

23. pchipchip thread starter macrumors regular

I know that there is no way to learn and understand a programming language in just a week or a short amount of time. I know it will take time but I am just wondering what books and stuff I should read or whatever else might help me.

24. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Have you read the FAQ linked to the top of this very subforum?

http://guides.macrumors.com/Cocoa_FAQ

There are links to books and other resources in there. Including the new BNR Objective-C book by Aaron Hillegass mentioned above.

B

25. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

this big nerd ranch book is great, I went past a couple chapters, and its very easy to understand and basically explains everything.

i went through one book iOS 4 essentials, it was great too, but it didn't explain what variables and all those things meant so this book is great.