Beginning transition from SGS@ to iPhone 5c.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Toltepeceno, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Hello, well the wife surprised me with an iphone 5c so I am beginning my transition to ios. Good phones are very expensive here, iphones a couple hundred dollars more than us, so they are harder for us to get. Even in toluca you do not see many high end phones or especially iphones. Going contract is very expensive and something like 85% here go amigo, pay as you go, as you can get by on 100-150 pesos a month as receiving calls is free, just outgoing you get charged for.

Stores like Coppel sell so you can make payments. They cost more but still less than contract with telcel. Coppel only carries the 5c and 4 as their iphones. They have no good model android phones, low end or chinese brand. This was the best choice phone for the only way I could upgrade.

My sgs2 is about 3 years old, long in the tooth and has quit charging. I'm not sure how much life is left in it and it will become a teenagers phone with 3 batteries and charger.

Things I like with the iphone. Airplay, period. I love it with my atv3, it's great. The size will take some getting used to. It's tiny. I don't get some say that smaller is better, if it was people would be watching 16" TV's. My hands and fingers are large and it's hard for me to not hit double keys typing unless I watch very close. Thumb typing is out with my big thumb, so the one hand argument is moot.

I miss widgets and ability to customize, but I don't consider either a big deal. I am getting older and care less about "tweaking" than I used to.

The iphone is smooth, simple and since I have already been using itunes iit fit right in. There is virtually no learning curve.

All in all the trade off is size and I think I can live with it since I have airplay. I have atv in the bedroom and I can d everything on my phone at home through it and it's sweet.

Last thing is do I or will I regret the change? I don't and don't think I will. I think I will get used to the size and there are already other things I like a lot. I think it AND the wife are both keepers and I see one for her later on.:)

I hope I did not boor everyone with the info leading to the phones, just though I would post how some of us unlucky saps have it that do not live in the us and technology is very expensive.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The upgrade from the SGS2 to the iPhone 5c is a pretty big step. You lost a little bit in screen size, but the resolution on the 5c is much improved. The processor is about 2x as fast according to benchmarks.

Glad you like the phone!

3. Toltepeceno thread starter Suspended

Toltepeceno

Thank you and you are very correct. There is no way I could regret moving up from the sgs2. The part that I left out that could possibly regret was not going for a note 3 or something similar, but since the store does not carry the upper android phones this one was the best choice. I don't think I will regret going from android to ios. The resolution is great also, as you say. Very crisp and the colors are great. Very smooth, if I never have to re install the os for being unstable I will be estatic.

4. Eli727 macrumors member

I went from the Samsung Galaxy S4 to the 5c and do not regret it at all. At first I missed the widget and the customization and the large screen but the longer I own it the more I love it (I do not miss the S4 at all!) The large factor of the S4 became cumbersome I thought and while the screen was beautiful, Im happy with the size of the iPhone 5c.

The iPhone works so much better and everything is smoother and easier - plus it integrates with my Macbook and as of this weekend, my new iPad.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I had a Samsung Galaxy S2. The LTE version called the Skyrocket. Going from Android to iOS is hard (and so is the other way around), but give it a few weeks and you'll adapt to the smaller screen size, controls, apps, and so on.

6. Toltepeceno thread starter Suspended

Toltepeceno

I just got this yesterday, but already I like it more all the time. I think I will get used to the size pretty quick, especially with airplay. In a few days I figure there will be no looking back. After the wife gets one an ipad is on my list for both of us.

IOS is pretty easy. I got it yesterday and am already finished moving my contacts, books through itunes, put my apps in folders, found most of my programs in the ios version, etc. I am beginning to like the os, it will just take me a few days with the size but I don't think I will be dwelling on it.

Thanks.

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

A nice case will help with the size being too small/lightness. I am using a Spigen Slim Armor S case which provides some grip/bulk to the iPhone.

8. mrayski macrumors newbie

I had this exact same phone for about a year, and I seriously could not stand it. Now I have the iPhone 5, and I'm extremely happy.

9. Russiaone macrumors 6502

You won't. iOS is very stable. You might see a crash every once in a cobalt moon, but it's nothing to bother about.

10. Toltepeceno thread starter Suspended

Toltepeceno

I think you are right about the case helping, I will check out the spigen. Thanks.

Beautiful, thanks.

11. Toltepeceno thread starter Suspended

Toltepeceno

Well, I like it more all the time. Safari on ios is very nice, I like it a lot. I think I am going to be very happy with it.