Behind the Genius Curtain at Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotobadger, Aug 26, 2010.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I was wondering if there's an Apple store Genius here or someone else who knows about what goes on in the "back room" of the Genius bar when a decision has to be made about something you bring in.

I've noticed, depending on the situation and the person you're working with, that when you are looking for a type of "favor" from the Genius, they go to the back room to "check to see if what you're asking is possible". For example, they replaced my 24 inch cinema display (under warranty) but I didn't have the box. They told me, over the phone, that if I didn't have the old box they would only be able to remove the new one and give it to me. When I went in I was really nice and asked if I could take the box too. At first he was like, "no, sorry". I said no problem and that I totally understood. He then hesitated, said he'd go in the back to ask someone, came back and said I could go ahead and take it.

Is there some unofficial policy that if the customer is being a jerk they get no special "favors" but if they're being nice and cooperative they can bend the rules a bit?

For some reason I got the impression that the Genuis went in the back and said that I was being friendly and nice and would it be ok to hook me up?

Anyone else have this kind of experience? Have you seen jerk customers being told tough luck and nice customers being helped a bit more?

2. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

They just do that to make you think they're talking to a manager or something. It's just so people think that it's a big deal when its probably not that way they will be more hesitant to ask next time

3. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Steve jobs formulates his plans for world domination muhahahahahaha :D

[​IMG]

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Hey, when nature calls you gotta go.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not really a policy, this apply for any retail store, if you are nice the person on power can move things around to help you, if you are jerk, why bother? He went in the back to ask the manager (person on power on this case).

I got my Original iPhone (2G) replace after almost 14months after i got it (apple care was more than expired), i was being nice and relax just looking for some possible solution, we started talking and his sister is going to the same college I graduated from, them he just gave me a brand new phone. He told me he was just going to crash it later and report it as "in Store Accident". As I said, he didn't have to do it, he just did it because he was willing to go the extra mile, they won't do it for rude people.

6. warrmr macrumors regular

That is so true, Those who are Rude get the same treatment back (Do not do to your neighbor what you would take ill from him) and all that Jazz.

I work in a bar and have to deal with rude people most of the time. The kind of people who treat you like the mud on the bottom of there shoe. Those type of people get nothing from me. Nice people get the world I just do what I am payed to do but nice people get the extra attention they deserve.

Sometimes you know that you havent got anything straight up but you have to be seen to do something. For example we knew we had no chalk for the Pool ques so instead of telling the person no we havent got any and then to serve the next person. I went into the back looked for the appropriate ammount of time and come back appologetic.

If I am ever in a bad mood the customer can sense it and if they are a good person they will generally pick my mood up. On the other hand if they are rude this amplifys my bad mood.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

8. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

Its probably like in a car dealership, where htey guy has to go talk to the sales manager about a deal and they really talk about their weekend plans. ;) Except in this case, instead of beating you down so you will pay too much for the car, he comes out and helps you so you feel like he is a hero and they treated you great.

9. Solange82200 macrumors regular

One of the best pieces of advice ive heard about getting good customer service, apart from being polite obviously, is to voice your request in a way that will make the other person feel good for helping you. Like saying "I was hoping you could help me", kind of like appealing to everyone's inner hero. Just basically letting the person know in advance that you know that they may not be required to help you, but that you would be extra grateful if they would.

It worked for me when I took my Iphone 4 in to get replaced, I had it for a little over a month, had it in a case since day one, but somehow the camera lens had scratches all over it. I'll admit, I fibbed a little and said it was dropping calls when it wasnt, but I made it clear that the main thing bothering me was the camera lens. I was as nice as possible and the guy gave me a new phone no problem. I just explained the situation and said that I was so disappointed as I had been so happy with the phone till I saw the scratches, and is there anything at all he could do to help. He exchanged it to me right away and was super nice about it...

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Dunno if it's true or not (it is in other places)...

I've heard that Apple stores have a monthly manager's goodwill fund that can be used at the manager's discretion to help out nice people and to build customer allegiance.

This fund allows them to replace units for such things as cracked glass, that would otherwise not be possible.

Of course, if you happen to be at the store when the fund is low, then they can't help in that way.

11. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

It's exactly like the old saying, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

What entertains me the most, is that people who are always bossy, pushy, rude, demanding, entitled, and demeaning don't "Get it" time after time after time of not being treated well because of their demeanor and attitude.

12. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

I've always assumed that behind the Genius Curtain lies the entrance to a wormhole through the space/time continuum that can whisk you to Cupertino in the blink of an eye. And back again.