Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I dug a Beige G3 desktop out of my guest room to install 10.2 on for my mother. Upon boot, it had flaky video. The one time we did get it to boot, ia system error dialog with no text appeared. It would not boot from niether the hard drive, nor the Mac OS 9 install CD. I tried both the motherboard video, as well as a Rage 128 PCI card - both had the same problems. If we can't fix it, we're going to throw it away.

eddy32

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
Norway
Beige G3 desktop problems.

I have a 98 mod. beige G3 desktop that flipped out the other day. I sometimes used it for Classic apps.. It did not want to boot, so I tried to boot from the system CD (Mac OS 9.2), but after the first icon at the bottom appeared, an empty error box popped up and everything froze. I also tried the same with the harddrive disconnected, I pushed the reset button on the motherboard, I removed the custom mounted USB-card, but however, the result was the same. Then I tried to boot up from the Mac OS 10.1 system CD, and funny enough, this went fine. I was able to format and partition the drive and install system 10,1. Then I thought it was a piece of cake to install syst. 9.x. However I experienced the same problems. So if anyone knows how to tackle this problem, I would be very grateful for an answer. System 9.x is what I could use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.