Beige G3 tower 200 odd mhz

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Ryan118, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Ryan118 macrumors newbie

Usually it flys running os 9.2. And i am fine with the os it is on ... i dont want to upgrade. I just resently got from my high school a mac plus,SE, SE/30, LC and a power mac 6500 and this G3 tower. all the computers are fine. Although the g3 will just temporarily freeze then go back to speedy normal. I have no idea whats happening ... Do you ?

2. FullmetalZ26 macrumors regular

Have you tried booting with extensions disabled? Or doing a clean install entirely, perhaps?

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Yeah it sounds like you have an extension or process that is hanging the system.

Boot the system with extensions off, if that helps;

- Disable extensions for devices, or programs you don't use
    - Remove applications and files from the disk that you don't need
    - Reboot and test

4. Ryan118 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeh i will try that. Tell me again, how do you boot doing that. I did it on a perfoma once but i have totally forgot.

5. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Hold shift when you see the happy Mac right at boot up. The loading screen should then say "Extensions Disabled".

6. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

You can also try to test ram. i ran into the same problem cause i had a bad ram chip installed which would run fine tll the memory useage got enough to start useing the bad stick and would make the system act funny or lock up. it wasnt till i pulled all but one stick and tryed the system and if it did well i would shut it down and try another single stick untill i found the bad stick.

another thing could be bad spots on the HDD