Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Today my Beige G3 Power Mac got a glich and now isn't booting up. It freezes on start up with "Error 10" and when I try starting up holding shift down (in case its an extension clash) it still crashes with the same error.

Any idea what this is? Any fixes? Like would booting off the original OS8 CD and using disk first aid help? (even though the its a newer OS9?)

polarsirkelen

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Tromsø, Norway
Be sure to run Disk First Aid. It will check the integrity of the Directory, but it cannot check for bad blocks.

There is a bad blocks checker in Drive Setup, named "Test Disk". It simply reads (and writes, if you allow it) every block and replaces bad blocks. It takes several hours to complete; and much longer if there are errors.

This could be helpful...

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
I found the original CD, but every time I start up with 'C' held down the machine boots off the internal HD. WTH?

Any other ways to get the machine to boot off another drive or media first? I tried holding down option and that doesn't seem to work either..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.