Beige G3 Wont boot from CD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sutty100, Jul 13, 2014.

1. sutty100 macrumors newbie

Jul 13, 2014
    I have a beige G3 mini tower with a 1Ghz G4 update. It has OS 9.2.2 on it and I wanted to install OS X alongside it...just because. Sadly it will not boot using the CD drive. I've tried selecting the CD as the boot disk from OS 9, holding down C but no good it just whirs away for a bit and then starts loading from the HDD. It also requires you to boot it wait and then reboot before it slowly loads OS 9.

I've replaced the PRAM battery recently but no better. I did have to replace the CD drive at one stage but I've checked to ensure its set as MASTER. Finally I tried target disc from my G4 powerbook but it ignores that as well! I've tried using OS 10.2 retail boot disc and an OS 9 boot disc but it ignores them all!

I'm now worried if the HDD dies I wont even be able to get OS 9 back on it! Any help appreciated!
  2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

May 3, 2014
    I've been playing with one of these lately. As I understand it, you must have a CD-ROM drive with Apple ROM in it to be able to boot from the CD-ROM.
  3. Intell macrumors P6

Jan 24, 2010
    What version of OS X are you trying to install on it?
  4. jruschme macrumors 6502

Dec 20, 2011
    Brick, NJ
  5. sutty100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 13, 2014
  6. catzilla macrumors 6502

Dec 15, 2013
    Rhode Island
    Does it recognize CD's when booted from the HD? I have an AIO with a non Apple CD, I can check if it will boot from it if you need me too.
  7. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

Mar 23, 2003
    New England
    I'm guessing this is a Sonnet upgrade. In this case, there should be a control panel installed called Startup Disk X. Insert the CD and open this control panel to select and startup from an OSX installer. Otherwise you will need to install the original processor.

They still have info and install software on their website, as well as the cache enabler needed for OS X operation.

Click me!