Beige Power Mac G3 Desktop. What can I do with it?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by GMFreak8, May 24, 2007.

1. GMFreak8 macrumors newbie

I just inherited a Power Mac G3 beige desktop, and I was wondering what I could do with it. Could I install the latest version of OS X with XPostFacto? It has the G3 running at 266Mhz, 320MBs of Ram, a 80 gig hard drive, and a DVD-ROM drive. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

2. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

You can run tiger on it with xpostfacto. You have plenty of ram. You could install an old tv tuner card. It is still a screamer for OS 9. I would play around with quark and install itunes 2, rock out original starcraft. Man that makes me want to go digg up my quadra.

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Why bother installing OSX? Use its native OS. It will scream!

After some research, that PowerMac can run OS 8 through OS 10.2.8.

4. GMFreak8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. How do you think the performance will be with OS X 10.4? I'm not expecting it to be fast, all I want is something that'll allow me to play around with OS X. I haven't been able to afford a new computer yet, so I'm still chugging along with a Dell until I can afford my new Mac Pro, but I'd like to be able to experience and get used to OS X. If the Power Mac can handle OS X and still run at an ok speed, I'd like to use it. If I already had a Mac in my house, I'd definitely keep OS 9 on it, and play with that.

Edit: Would it be possible to dual boot OS 9.2.2 and OS X 10.4.9?

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I don't see why not. You could partition the hard drive into 2 pieces.

I can tell you right now it is going to be painful running tiger on that machine.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Tiger is kinda slow even with a much faster processor than yours and 512MB RAM, so I definitely wouldn't recommend it...maybe 10.2 if you really want...

7. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

I agree, I have 10.2 running on a G3 Powerbook with the same specs and it is quite acceptable. I tried upgrading to 10.4 with Xpostfacto but it was almost unusably slow so I have reverted back to 10.2.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

That thing officially supported up to 10.2.8.

I would stick with 9.2.2. It can do a lot it's not nearly as old as other systems that people are doing a lot with.

9. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

those have a ZIF processor slot, so you can drop a faster g3 in there in <5 mins for cheap.

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=59&type=Processor&TI=3630&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

a brand new one is kinda expensive, but im sure u could find one on ebay for ~50 bucks.

you can also overclock those stock G3s (i think) with a jumper block on the motherboard (with a void warranty sticker) with 2.5mm jumpers.

if youre not going to upgrade anything then don't run OS X, its gonna page out like crazy to your hard drive. it might work well as an ftp or music server or something, but running more than one app is gonna be disk thrash city.

if you do run OS X anyways, the cheapest upgrades are gonna be more RAM and a newer hard drive.

10. GMFreak8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for all the replies. I decided I'll just stick with OS 9. I'm planning to get a MacBook shortly, and hopefully later on a Mac Pro, so I'll have plenty of time to play around then. I figure what the hell, I loved OS X when I tried it at the store, and on my friends MacBook (which is drop dead sexy and the best built laptop I've ever placed my hands on), and I'm sick of Windows Vista already.

11. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

i have a Beige G3 AIO that i have upgraded a bit (its in my sig). the 120gb HHD is partitioned 3 times , the first is 8gb (for OS X), 2nd is 10gb for OS 9.2.2, and the 3rd is whats left over from the first 2 partitions for downloads, music, installed app's and games. Having a faster HDD in it also helped out allot in system proformance.

i bought a 450mhz G3 1mb l2 cache cpu pulled from a B&W about a year ago for $43 shipped from ebay. since the system bus is 66mhz you could seleck 433mhz or 466mhz so i oped for the faster 466.

i slowly worked my way up to 768mb ram and every time i upgraded the memory the system got faster. i run 10.4.9 with pci extreme enabled with a Radeon 7000 pci video card, upgraded the nboard video memory to 6mb vram witch also helped out in OS X. having PCI extreme enabled is a make or break
    with this OS. from what i have experianced from enabling PCI extreme is a huge proformance increase during dvd playback or divx movies. every thing play's smooth for me in tiger with PCI extreme enabled so much better than without it enabled.

playing dvd's in OS 9.2.2 you have to have a Radeon 7000 and above ( will not work on the Rage video cards) plus a hacked version of the apple dvd player found on www.OS9forever.com and a dvd drive. having the Radeon 7000 also makes a huge proformance gain

i also have a wireless Belken G+ PCI Card which works great in OS X. no drivers for OS 9.2.2 yet but i am working with Belkin to hopefully get that taken care of. also have a PCI usb 1.1 card (trying to find a USB2.0/Firewire PCI Card)

here is what i paied for each upgrade

120GB HDD $57 shipped
    PCI Radeon 7000 $27 shipped
    4mb Vram upgrade $10 shipped
    2 single drive 80 wire 40 pin IDE cables ultra ATA/133 $10 shipped
    450 G3 CPU $43 shipped
    USB PCI card free
    2nd monitor free
    Pioneer DVR-110D $47 shipped
    Belkin wireless G+ PCI card $35 wal-marts
    wireless mouse $10 Big lots
    3 256mb (16 chip) PC100 cl2 for $26 each

cant remember what else i think this is all

Tiger 10.4 cd's $50 from ebay

2 Beige G3 AIO's free all thanks to my aunt not knowing how to hook up a Mac (she bought like 10 from a school aution and she could not get none working cause she didnt know you power them on with the KB cause the AIO only has the volume buttons on the front. and the rocker power switch was off and she had the KB plugged into the S-video input on the wings personality card) so it was rather a easy score for me.

if done right these are a great machine

12. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    I've got a Revision C motherboard-equipped PowerMac G3 Desktop. It's present configuration is as follows:
    • 576MB RAM
    • 6MB Video RAM (shipped with 2MB, IIRC)
    • D-Link 100T ethernet card
    • 3DFX Voodoo3 3000 PCI graphics card (flashed over from PC to Mac firmware)
    • Stock CPU, but overclocked from 266MHz to 300MHz
    • 1 40GB and 1 30GB IDE HDD
    • Lite-On DVD+/-R/RW optical drive

In an effort to keep the machine useful, I have nuked it, set up Mac OS 8.6 on it and, using BootX, nominally run the computer full-time as a headless Debian Etch Linux-based Apache web server and Samba file server.

If you're at all curious, here's a link to the web site I'm hosting on it. It's a writing project, basically.

I use it within my home as a file server, and it's amazingly sprightly for a system of it's vintage.

Debian Etch runs really well on it, and you'll do a LOT better running a Linux-based file server than either a Mac OS 9- or Mac OS X-based one on it. I highly recommend retasking older Macs in this way to keep them productive.

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Install Linux on it and put your iTunes music collection on it and just use it as a media server. That's what I would do anyway :).

14. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Unless you have, or can get the upgrades for next to nothing, personally, I wouldnt bother upgrading it. The machine is getting older and older, and it was dropped support-wise with the OS 4 years ago. Its really not worth trying to upgrade further, if you ask me. Sure, as a fun project, but only if you have a lot of money.

You can get a G4 tower for some cheap coin now-a-days on eBay. I picked the G4 in my sig without RAM and the HDD for 220 plus the shipping, which was about 255, sent the money order, and yesterday it landed, in a giantic 21" monitor box with enough peanuts to stick my nephew in (Man, he had a blast of us dunkin' him in the box)

15. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Hey I have a 350mHz G3 processor out of my now dead BW G3. I can sell it to you for $40. ZIF processors are a cinch to install.

As for running Tiger on that machine, yes, it will be a bit painful. I'd go with 10.3 and XPostFacto.

16. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Sometimes its not always about having the latest and greatest, who cares if its not supported that has never stopped me. Its about just tinkering with it and seeing if you can do things it could not originally do when new or thats at least how I look at it.

17. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

i have 10.4.10 installed on my Beige G3 AIO and it runs great. i can do stuff that one would not think possible on this machine in my sig running the latest version of OS X. and the performance great on it runs real smooth (have PCI extreme enabled.

i didnt much care for panther in my opinion it ran a bit slower than tiger does on my system.

18. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I got a iBook with 384MB with Tiger installed and it runs fine, only a bit slow. Then again, it has a decent 900MHz CPU, although it is a G3.

19. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k