Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AWAY FROM HOME

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
I am working away from home and renting a room from someone (tenent) who is leasing the house from the owner. If the tenent gets laid off and decides to move out what recourse do I and the other borders or subletters have.
How much notice does he have to give us?
Does he have to keep the utilities on for a period?

Tenent:
-Pays owner rent
-Pays utilities in his name

Me (Border or subletter)
-Pay renter week to week all inclusive
-No lease agreement all verbal
-Have record of cashed cheques or money paid
-Do not know the owner
Thanks

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
A) asking for legal advice online from a Mac site nonetheless is not a good idea.
B) asking for advice that can vary by state/country useless when you fail to state where you're located.
C) seek out your local housing authority and ask them.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't know the laws and you're best bet is to talk to someone with knowledge as Jessica recommended.

With that said, I personally wouldn't want to be in that situation and if there's a risk of happening, I'd recommend you find yourself a new place to stay. Just for the peace of mind you'll be better off finding an apartment that its in a more stable situation.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
How much notice does he have to give us?
Does he have to keep the utilities on for a period?

No and nope. Because....

Me (Border or subletter)
-Pay renter week to week all inclusive
-No lease agreement all verbal
-Have record of cashed cheques or money paid
-Do not know the owner

I'm no lawyer, but without something in writing, you're pretty much SOL.:( The best you can hope for is the Tenent will honor your agreement. Otherwise, it's your word against his.

I miss the old days where a handshake was worth more than gibberish written on paper.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Hate to say it OP, but you probably don't have any rights at all. I know as a landlord, for a time, my leases prohibited subletting by the tenent without my approval. As a landlord, I would most likely evict both of you for breaking the terms of the lease. And since you have nothing in writing, as someone else mentioned, it is just your word against the tenent's word.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
No and nope. Because....

I'm no lawyer, but without something in writing, you're pretty much SOL.:( The best you can hope for is the Tenent will honor your agreement. Otherwise, it's your word against his.

I miss the old days where a handshake was worth more than gibberish written on paper.

This why asking here is a really bad idea.... especially since you have not specified where you are. In my province, you would still have some protections, since you can establish this is your home. I think. But I'm not a lawyer either, so I suggest you get advice from your local authorities.

At least here, the Landlord & Tenants act is easily accessible on-line, and they answer a lot of questions. Your issue is not unique, and there has been lots of case-law and legislation created to address it. A lot of it is available on-line. I'd start with the FAQs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.