Being a verizon customer.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Megavolt419, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Megavolt419 macrumors newbie

So does being a Verizon customer meaning i can go to the store today and active a fiends old Verizon phone with a out contract then on Thursday morning, i can buy the iphone and sign a contract to the same number?

2. BriChi macrumors 6502

yes, exactly what I did.

I had an old Envy my wife used years ago, I called up Verizon, turned my acct into a family share and added the Envy as a month to month add on for $9.99 a month, that is now qualified for an upgrade which is what I will use on Thursday to preorder, then once the iPhone arrives, i will switch the numbers so the iPhone becomes my main number

3. Jcloud8 macrumors member

There going to make you add a data plan when you do add the iphone.

Why not just buy full retail instead of paying 9.99 a month for the next 2 years..

4. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Depends on if you want two lines or not. What BriChi is doing makes sense if:

1) You want the second line.
    2) You plan on taking your current phone and giving it to your wife or something, and then using the line with the upgrade to get your iPhone during the pre-order window.

5. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

$200 iPhone + $9.99/mo * 24 mos = $440

iPhone full retail = $650

6. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

If he is switching the new line over to his primary line he may get rid of the old line when it reaches the end of it's contract. So it makes complete sense.

7. SlamJam12 macrumors regular

Problem/Trouble

I just tried to sign into MyAccount on Verizon. I am not the primary phone or person in the family. It was one of my parent's. I tried to check my eligibility when logging in at the iPhone 4 "check eligibility" page. I failed several times and they locked the account. It says that they information they have doesnt match what I tried to type in. Contact them.
    However, I can go to the My Account tab and log in there. I got in and could check my phone details, etc. I am eligible for an upgrade and could click the upgrade phone.
    I am just concerned if this will mess up my chances of pre-ordering the iPhone. It doesn't show anywhere on the Verizon website, the walkthrough of how pre-ordering the iPhone will go (where to pre-order on the site, etc.)

8. jmo1116 macrumors regular

I'm kinda in the same situation. So let me get this straight. I want to add a line to my family plan on Verizon. If I use an old verizon phone for this new line that I am adding and I activate it tomorrow during the day (before preorders), will I then be able to upgrade this line to the iPhone and be able to preorder on the 3rd?

9. jmo1116 macrumors regular

So does anyone know if this is possible? ^^ see above

10. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Yes, but whats the point? Come pre-order you can just choose to "add a line" and select the iPhone and not deal with all that work. The only advantage I can think of to adding a line early is that when you are pre-ordering you should be able to select "transfer upgrade from another line" and then choose the line you want the iPhone on, even if its not upgrade eligible. The only difference being is that when you get the iPhone and try to activate, if you simply "add a line" then when you activate it starts that new number and then you call verizon to transfer the phone to your main line. If you select "transfer upgrade" at pre-order when you get the phone for activation, it should activate to your main line right away.

11. jmo1116 macrumors regular

I ask this because I saw this on the forum saying you cannot preorder by adding a line:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1088316

I'll probably just call and ask VZ tomorrow and see what they say.

12. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Not 100% sure but the few reps i've talked to all recommended adding a line on the 3rd as the best option for non upgrade ready lines. Im just buying full retail instead.

13. jmo1116 macrumors regular

If that is indeed the case, it would be great and save me some trouble. However, I will still try to verify this by calling VZ tomorrow.

14. Jimcoleman1 macrumors newbie

Per several Verizon reps, you cannot add a new line during preorder time. You need to activate an old Verizon phone ahead of time and then upgrade the line

15. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Good deal. Any particular reason your adding a line over retail pricing? After the cancellation fee's, taxes and first months billing the cost is nearly the same except none of the hassle. Unless you want that extra line I guess

16. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Hmm... guess that goes to show the mess of information they have been given. I can't say with certainty one way or another anymore I guess, just know what I was told.

17. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

And per the official Business email sent to VZW business customers you definitely can add a line. It will be no different for non-business accounts.

I'm not sure of your phone situation but, keep in mind, if you have a smartphone w/ data account on the old line, then you add a new line and the iPhone and data and swap to your old line, you are then bound to either cancel and eat the ETF on the new line or pay $40 for the new line for 24 months.

18. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

If you swap lines, you can eliminate the data. You're only required to keep the line active, not the extras. So you'd only have to pay $9.99 for 24 months on your "dummy" line.

19. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

So if I got the $29.99 unlimited plan and say in 6 months they offer a $15/200mb plan I can switch data plans without penalty?

20. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

so Verizon allows you to sign a month to month contract if you provide your own phone?

21. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

Yep. I did this the other day, and now the phone I added says it's eligible for an upgrade!

22. Megavolt419 thread starter macrumors newbie

can you use the go phones at walmart then take it to the store and active them?+

or being prepaid means i can have an accout n and upgrade to an iphone?

23. jesterscourt macrumors regular

No, GoPhone is an ATT prepaid phone. Moreover, read the details about conversion from Verizon Prepaid to Verizon Postpaid. To use a newly purchased prepaid phone on a postpaid account it has to be active for six consecutive months. Probably something to do with subsidies.

24. jmo1116 macrumors regular

I'm on att right now and will be adding a line to my family's plan on verizon. How much is it to cancel the line on att?