being able to logg onto my mac from my vista laptop?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by j2048b, Oct 7, 2009.

1. j2048b macrumors 6502a

I have searched, and i know there is a way to use screen sharing or (maybe something easier?) something like that to log onto my mac desktop from my vista laptop, but how?

I use rdc to log onto my windows desktop from my mac...

I am not sure what steps i need to perform in order to see my mac, and do everything on it from my vista laptop?

I need to be able to do this a lot, as my desktop is upstairs and the kid and i are downstairs and need to do a lot of homework.

Thanks for helping me!!

2. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

You could get a Windows VNC client (there's a bunch out there that can be downloaded) then run it and give the Mac's hostname or IP address to connect to. Ta-da.

(Also, for this to work, on the Mac, you have to go into System Preferences -> Sharing -> turn on Screen Sharing.)

3. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its that easy? AWESOME!!

any recommendations for a vnc client? i have heard or real vcn, but it has limitations for the free edition, correct?
    :apple:

thanks

4. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Free is fine. It's what I use. I don't recall which client I use on Windows but I've used a bunch -- no problem there. So try one and see if it works. If you like it, keep it. If not, try another client. Cake.

5. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

THANKS!! will try the vnc free edition,

I got it, and it is weird to set up, do i need to use a password, or can i just use the section to only allow the certain machines to log onto?

Thanks

and what is the leagcy stuff, do i need to use that?

do i use user mode or service mode?

6. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

I strongly advise you use an unique password for VNC access for security reasons. Could be something like 'tehW0wies!' or whatever that's simple, has mixed case, has letters and numbers, has punctuation, and that you can easily remember. I don't recall re: legacy stuff, try leaving that part off.

User mode or service mode is related to the VNC server software on Windows (that allows other VNC clients to connect to your Windows machine), which you don't want or need. Disable the VNC server part completely on your Windows machine.

7. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

If i disable the server, then how do i log onto my mac from my vista laptop? I thought the server had to be running in order to connect to other computers?

8. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Some of the Windows VNC installers installs a client AND a server. The user vs. service thing sounds like a Windows VNC server configuration question. This (the Windows VNC server) is something you do NOT want to be running at all. All you need is to run the client (vncviewer.exe) and to make sure the installer does not attempt to install and configure a Windows VNC server.

On the Mac side, all you have to do to enable the VNC server is to go to System Preferences -> Sharing -> enable Screen Sharing, and ideally also set a VNC access password. That's about it.

Are you seeing the user vs. service question on the Windows box or on the Mac box?

9. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, on the windows box it installed the user ande the service mode servers, i turned them both off, and now i guess i just go set up the mac?

or should i uninstall and only click the vnc viewer to install when asked?

thanks

10. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Safest would be to do a quick uninstall then choose only the viewer to install on Windows box -- the fewer installed stuff for hackers to take advantage of (even if turned off), the harder it is for them to take over your box. Should take only about 10-15 secs to deinstall/reinstall.

Then go ahead and set up the Mac side.

11. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

AWESOME!! THANK YOU!!

I will have to set up the mac tonight!! thanks for all your help!! appreciated!!

12. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

any reason you know of that would say connection aborted instantly and show this code: (10053)?

do i have to also allow for internet sharing and any others?

thanks

FIGURED IT OUT FROM ANOTHER FORUM! THE FULL COLOR CLICK BOX NEEDED TO BE CLICKED!!

any reasons to allow remote logon or remote management on the mac side?

13. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

does this always lag and stutter? i wonder if there is a quicker viewer to use?