Being blamed for cosmetic damage.. on a new part?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheBritishBloke, May 10, 2010.

1. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

My MacBook Pro went in for repairs.. Twice.. And this time around, they replaced the display (includes hinge, glass, display and casing), and they somehow managed to get a long 1-2" scratch down the casing, on a 'new' part. Now they're trying to tell me that it's me who damaged it, when I sent a formal email to the representative at apple 2 hours after I collected it from the depot, haven't even turned on the computer, and someone watched me open the box, and they also saw the scratch straight away.

Besides this, they also managed to scratch the bottom of the case, and scratch away at the Serial number writing on the bottom.

What rights do I have in the UK?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Do you live near an Apple store? Speaking one on one with a Genius or Manager in a store may be able to get this rectified.

3. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Unfortunately no, the nearest store is over an hour away.

I've also now found a dead pixel on the 'new' screen. I only turned on the computer for the first time about 10 minutes ago.

It appears trading standards is going to be the best way for me to go if they still refuse to go ahead with a repair/replacement.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

My nearest one is an hour away also. When I had a problem I went to speak to them and the sorted out the problems.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

But OP has dealt with other than the near by Apple Store so I would try to get it fixed through the same way as before because they are aware of the situation and he would just have to tell the story again to a new person. What I've heard about this case (in other threads and MSN), the Geniuses did nothing when OP told them about his issues, they were like: "That's not unusual and we couldn't find any other issues".

Things like this are up to the person you deal with, some give you replacement right away while others do nothing.

6. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Got a phone call today from my rep at Apple..

'Pixel anomalies are completely normal'

Ahem.. what? The computer has come back in FAR worse condition than I sent it off in!