Being "forced" to upgrade to Lion by Apple

Discussion in 'macOS' started by The-Pro, Mar 1, 2012.

1. The-Pro macrumors 65816

I have a @mac.com email account aswell as a mobile me (@me.com). i got an email from apple that I will loose the ability to have access to my email, though the mail program, on snow leopard because of the whole icloud business. I can only access my mail in safari. I called apple and they said I have to upgrade to Lion to use these accounts in mail.

Now the thing is, I have Lion on a MBP and I HATE it!! Also i have PowerPC applications which I desperately need for my business. I need my email accounts accessible in mail on all my systems for practicality reasons and especially because I dont want to have my emails in a safari window.

Anyone else have a problem like this?
    I think its an utter disgrace to just cut off the people using the best OSX so far, SnowLeopard :) , from their apple email accounts.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It is possible to use iCloud email with Snow Leopard.

See these instructions for details.

3. The-Pro thread starter macrumors 65816

4. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I access my cloud email on 10.4.11, 10.5.8, and 10.6.8. While time consuming that process will work.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It works fine, I have a couple of buddies doing just that.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's not really forcing you is it?

They are doing away with a paid service and giving you a free service that you can choose to use.

You could access your me account via the web browser or as above through mail. Yes if you want the full range of service you need to run lion but it's really not that bad or forced on you!

7. The-Pro thread starter macrumors 65816

Well i didnt realise there is a work around.

Well via the web browser is different. Having a mail program, which tells you when mail arrives etc is much more convenient then always having to make sure you have a safari window with mail open.
    Apple knows exactly how people value snow leopard and that people dont want to upgrade. Taking away these feature, and not telling you the workaround, on a OS thats from 2010 is a joke I think.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.