Being hacked?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by IzzyJG99, Oct 1, 2008.

1. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

This might fall under the dumb thread category, but humor me.

I'll start at the beginning. Some punk evidently messaged me through Xbox Live saying he got my IP. So I went and checked my computer's IP and evidently he does have it. I checked at that website IPChicken.com. Got another message saying he was going to hack me. He evidently got the IP when my iMac was off and I was only signed on to Xbox Live with my Xbox 360. So my question is...the IP that shows up I guess is just my cable modems, right? Cause both my Xbox and my iMac connect to my Cable Modem through an Airport Express. Doesn't the Airport Express protect me to some extent? Anything I should be worried about?

PS: Yes I reported him to Xbox Live, not that those morons do anything about this sort of thing.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

All of your assumptions are correct. You have very little to worry about.

If you want to be extra cautious, enable your Firewall (in System Preferences > Security > Firewall), and via the "Advanced" button, check "enable stealth mode."

3. IzzyJG99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Appreciate the promptly reply, EricNau. I've been a Mac user since age two and have confidence in my computer, but I just wanted to get some pro-am level advice anyway.

What got me so concerned was I went to System Prefs> Sharing and when I went to File Sharing in the Users (Middle) column it said Everyone, my username and then "Unknown User." Unknown User had read only privelages, apparently but I deleted it from the column the moment I saw it. That user only had access to the public folder and that's empty, of course.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Those sound like the default settings (I've attached a screen shot). If your settings look like these, you're only granting access to a single, publicly shared folder (aptly named "Public"); the rest of your HD is secure.

Attached Files:

5. IzzyJG99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine looks the exact same as yours with the exception of it's just my username (Only user on this computer) and Everyone. The weird thing was that it said "Unknown User" in there, too. I deleted it and now it's not showing up anymore even after a few restarts.

6. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Whoever that guy is, is probbly just sore cause u pwned him or something, and now he wants to sound tough and pretend he knows how to hack you.

Hah he probably just read a book on how to hack windows '95 (who the hell CAN'T hack windows 95?) and now eh thinks he's some "1337 hacker" and he wants to scare you

So yeah... i can tell your already put at ease, but im just reassuring you, you have nothing to worry about.

Remember, a REAL hacker isnt going to tell you hes gonna hack you, for one simple reason. Computers (yes this includes windows) are generally only susciptible to hackers, when the computer user is unware/naive. But as soon as the user is aware, it is very easy to kick that hacker out, whether it be turning firewall on... or even simply disconnecting your computer from the internet. In other words only a retarded hacker would tell you in advance that he's gonna hack you.

7. IzzyJG99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mostly likely you're right.

8. iTim314 macrumors 6502

While I don't consider myself a "hacker" by today's typical connotation, I'm very familiar and comfortable with the inner-workings of Mac OS X and the kernal.

I assure you, by these precautions, and for every other reason stated above, you're perfectly safe.

Losers will be losers. Keep loving your Mac. :)

9. IzzyJG99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you.

10. IzzyJG99 thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE.

Hi. So I pulled one over on this guy. I sent him a message via xBox letting him know that I have his IP on my log. I then went on to say that I "run a small business out of my home with private client files on my personal computer" which gave the impression that he would be in trouble cause of more than one person's private info being on my computer. He messaged me back with "So?" and I said "Well, I think there is a whole myriad of laws state and federal that make what you did a felony. I plan on contacting the police, Microsoft and your state's police in regards to this."

Well, he went nuts.

I got a voice message with him saying he was just kidding and wasn't serious. I ignored it. Got another where you could hear him crying and asking me not to tell anyone and that he was sorry!

11. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Lol, nicely done! :)

12. MacIllini macrumors member

hahahaha... nice story. what a punk! great move with that one :D

13. pprior macrumors 65816

14. nanofrog macrumors G4