Being Healthy?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by raw8725, Mar 22, 2013.

1. raw8725 macrumors regular

What would you say is your idea on what the word "HEALTH" actually means in this day and age?

And then what do you do about it to better your existence? :apple:

2. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Interesting to see someone bring this up.

I try to keep a balanced diet every day, eating more vegetables than meat. I have a water app that reminds me to drink water, and I believe I drink around 60 oz of water every day.

I also hit the gym every two or three days.

3. raw8725 thread starter macrumors regular

Why do you eat more vegetables than meat? And is your water regular tap water?

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Looking good in the mirror, never get sick, be able to run long distances, feel happy and fresh.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

In my case, "healthy" means I don't find my name in the Obituary page of the newspaper. :p:eek:

6. raw8725 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes but how do you get to that stage in life?

7. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

I think some guy once said everything is relative. When I was 24, healthy was 60 miles a week. Now life shakes and pulls me in a millions directions like a dobberman with a squirrel. I eat what's handy and sneak a few pre-dawn miles before my obligations awake.

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Exercise 3 times a week, dont smoke, rarely drink alcohol, staying low on high sugar content foods, and i almost never eat fast food. Havent been sick for ten years.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Well, that's pretty good. But my method is never to move around or exercise, get plenty of fried foods, processed meats, 3-4 big cigars a day, lots of drugs, and never see a doc or dentist.

I'm 29 tears old, and my method seems to be working pretty good!!:cool:

(Self portrait taken with iPhone 5)

Attached Files:

10. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

That doesn't necessarily mean anything.. ;)

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I'm in my early 20s and consider myself living a healthy lifestyle. I rarely eat junk food and my mom uses all organic foods in our home meals. I snack on fruits throughout the day. I only drink water (never tap water) or milk. I only really drink juice when there's no alternative or if I need to mix with liquor at a party.

I've quit smoking and begun exercising again. I've never been fat but I want to be more fit just for my general well-being. I consider aesthetics important as well so I like to keep a bit of a build.

I'm also very hygienic, brush and floss teeth daily, shower daily, wash my hands etc.

The result? Not sure if it's directly attributable but I rarely get sick anymore. When I do it doesn't last long whereas when I was younger I'd be out for weeks with fevers and flus.

12. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

13. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I've been trying to be more "healthy" since the start of this year. For me this means losing weight, eating better, and eventually adding in some exercise. For overall health of course you also should keep up with routine preventative healthcare (medical, dental, vision, etc.). There are also mental, spriritual, and social components to health that shouldn't be neglected either. Purpose, focus, balance, support, and relationships are of primary importance to wholeness and wellness. You can put "being healthy" or "taking care of yourself" off, but it will eventually catch up with you in one way or another.

I simply wanted to take control of some things in life that I had just honestly let go due to laziness and lack of effort. sadly, neglect can settle into your life before you know it. In the last 10 weeks I've lost over 50 pounds, am getting organized in many areas, and am making efforts to be more intentional about things, especially relationships. Time waits for no one, but unfortunately it's what we most often take for granted.

I think for most of us the struggle tends to be the mystery of motivation.