Being in crutches absolutely sucks.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Luigi239, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Being on crutches absolutely sucks, even if its my fault that I'm on them in the first place. I was with my friend after school and there was a soccer goal. Well, I thought it would be fun to try and take a running jump to the top bar (maybe 8ft. ) I took my jump, grabbed on, and...fell on my right foot. I thought that the pain would get better in a few days, low and behold its much worse. I had to get pulled out from school today to get x rays. The doctor said it was just a sprain, but I need to keep off it and be in cruches for the next 5-7 days, including school. So that in itself sucks, but within 3 hours of getting home, I'm bored as he'll just laying on the couch typing this on my iPod touch. Any ideas on how to survive tommarow / what to do now?

Ugh...

2. Xanis macrumors member

That really sucks. I sprained my ankle playing badminton (don't laugh, it gets intense) one time and I never got crutches. It was the day of my junior prom back in high school too. I just popped a few OTC pain relievers, put some frozen peas on it when I was sitting/laying down, and I was good to go in about a week. My sympathies to you though. Try to keep yourself occupied as much as possible so you don't go bonkers.

3. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I sprained my ankle in high school playing football in gym class. Like you, I didn't think it was really that bad, and I walked on it all day. When I took a look at my ankle after I got home from school, it was swollen really badly and was entirely purple. My mom was worried that it might have been broken, so I went to the hospital and got it x-rayed only to find out that I had a sprained ankle. I was given crutches, but I only used them for one day because they were really annoying to actually use. I had a padded ankle brace to keep my ankle from twisting around, though. It took about 6 weeks for my ankle to get "back to normal," although every once in a while I still get a sharp pain in my ankle if it gets moved a certain way.

4. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I've had major issues with knees and ankles from playing competitive basketball over the years (college included), and been in crutches a number of times (broken ankle, torn ACL, torn MCL). I can confirm that it really does suck.

However, I would say that if anyone simply has a sprained ankle, do not use crutches; it just delays the healing process, and makes you more stiff. Using crutches for a sprained ankle is a waste of time, energy, and money.

5. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

read all of the Sherlock Holmes books
    hack your iPhone
    be a mechanical turk
    check out the University stuff on the iTunes store

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It does suck, but I don't think being on crutches was ever advertised as a massively cool accessory. ;)

Read a book, or play your Wii if you have one.

7. Luigi239 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the sympathy, all. I have to go to school tomarrow, but at least there is an elevator there. The ironic part is that one of my friends is on crutches too, so we will be "crutches buddies".
    Yeah, Wii Tennis + Crutches...what could go wrong? :p

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Step 1: Play Wii Tennis.

Step 2: Dive off the side of the bed, and injure yourself.

Step 3: Sue.

9. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

• Trade the crutch for a cane
    • Hone your observation skills
    • Become a doctor
    • Become jaded

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

In college I suffered a pretty bad 2nd degree sprain playing racquetball and was told to be on crutches until the pain subsided and I could start putting weight on that foot. Well, gimping around campus on crutches sucked @ss so after about a day I made up my mind that the pain had subsided and I stopped using the crutches. :D I don't know if that was the wisest move though. Whenever I do something that will stress my ankle (including standing for extended periods of time) I have to wear a brace (lace up w/crossing support straps) or I'll feel my ankle start to "get loose" (I was told the ligaments will never be as strong as they were prior to the injury) and I'll get a shooting pain up the back of my calf for the next day or so.

Read a book. Write in a journal. Make a list of things you need to do but keep putting off. Write a letter to a relative you don't see very often.

Lethal