Being Picky and using the opportunity

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stewartlittle, Sep 12, 2008.

1. stewartlittle macrumors regular

So I bought an iPhone 3g 8gb off someone, right now i am not using it other than as an itouch, but i have noticed there is some dust under the screen. Being the picky person i am i am considering taking it in to apple. So i have the original purchasers receipt at rogers, I am assuming i need to take it into rogers to get replaced, not apple, but what i was thinking was to upgrade to a 16gb and pay the difference. Is this an option, or are they going to make me activate the new phone on the spot because i really dont want to start a plan until i get out of my bell one. Thanks

2. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

Is this within the 30 days? Or, more than likely, you will have to activate on the spot. You can ask them to take it home to activate and see what they say. I know in the U.S. they were allowing users to activate at home due to the activation issues.

3. stewartlittle thread starter macrumors regular

no this is not within 30 days, well actually yes it is i guess, but the reason the guy sold it was cause rogers has a clause that says if you use more than 30 min on the phone, no returns. I was more thinking cause dont these come with a standard 1 year apple warranty...

4. danielforman macrumors regular

I hope you get a good replacement iPhone 3G. I am currently waiting for my 8th replacement to come from Apple Care and every replacement I have had has dust under the glass. But all phones have had other issues besides this like stuck pixels, cracked casing etc.

I even saw in an Apple Store that of all the one's on display only 1 was dust free under the glass. This problem seems to be down to the use of the rubber gasket around the glass not sealing correctly and so dust can get in. You can tell if it is sealed because there should be no light leak. I believe that the dust was not an issue on the first gen, well I never had the problem and didn't read on here about it, because the glass and screen were glued together but on the 3G that are separate probably to reduce repair costs should the glass or LCD break.

So if the dust is not too much of a problem and it does not get worse and you have no other issues with the phone then it might be best to stick with it or go to an apple store and see a genius and check any replacements over before you accept them. Although the genius I spoke to when I went to the Apple Store once said dust was not a big issue and probably not enough to warrant an exchange but it is probably the opinion of the genius .

If it wasn't for the fact that the majority of my replacements have had other issues beside the dust then I would probably have said right I will just have to live with this dust issue. But it is entirely your decision what you do but just to warn you that you could end up playing iPhone Roulette.

5. stewartlittle thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice. Think I might stick with my purchase for now.