Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Three days ago, I start receiving random direct messages with colourful languages. At first, I choose to ignore and ignore that member. But, they keep coming back again and again.
Just a few minutes ago before I write this post, I see those same spams again. I am confident that my account is not hacked yet and the password is not leaked. It is very distracting because direct message count will remain there forever unless I take actions.
I want to get rid of them once and for all, or at least, for a few months. What could I do?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
You can also report the offending messages.

Exactly; you can report the message (in the 'conversation') section just as you can report posts or threads.

Three days ago, I start receiving random direct messages with colourful languages. At first, I choose to ignore and ignore that member. But, they keep coming back again and again.
Just a few minutes ago before I write this post, I see those same spams again. I am confident that my account is not hacked yet and the password is not leaked. It is very distracting because direct message count will remain there forever unless I take actions.
I want to get rid of them once and for all, or at least, for a few months. What could I do?

Report the message (you can report messages in the "conversations" where you are contacted by DM, just as you can report posts), and the user.

This should have the desired effect.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Thanks all.
I reported all users that were spamming messages to me. Today, one new account spams more messages to me, same colourful language. Five DM in total. I just reported the user, but not sure how this will end now.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks all.
I reported all users that were spamming messages to me. Today, one new account spams more messages to me, same colourful language. Five DM in total. I just reported the user, but not sure how this will end now.

I would imagine that the mods will take appropriate action and that the user will be banned.

Curious that a new account has copied the conduct of the earlier account and has chosen to target you; one might suspect that the source is the same individual, or that it is a new way to spam people.

In any case, if this continues, simply report them and the matter will be addressed.

Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.