Being trained for JavaEE6

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by carlosbutler, Jul 12, 2010.

1. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

I have just started an industry year placement at an amazing company :D

Anyway, I was wondering if there were any JEE6 developers, or people who have had experience and any tips you might want to give out. I am doing a computer science course and have done some Java before, although have more experience in Prolog and .NET and so far its going good. But never Java enterprise edition.

I am getting training from Oracle, so pretty good and just started off from the beginning (near enough).

2. ThaGrapist macrumors newbie

I spent a few months maintaining a rather large application written in JSP. The best advice I can give you is that if you want to figure out how something works, start at the 'top,' i.e., start by looking at the JSP code for the action and mentally trace it down into the database.

If you're planning on adding functionality, make sure you read the specifications very throughly before you start coding. J2EE applications tend to have many layers, and it can be difficult to modify functionality once you have all of the layers written. Once you have a solid understanding of the specs, starting at the 'bottom' (the database level) is a good place for new functionality.

Also, JDBC is a POS, so be prepared to handle some headaches.

3. mrbash macrumors 6502

JSE is a prerequisite to learning JEE. In fact before JEE certification you need a SCJP certificate, but preferably a SCJD certification. It's not something you just 'pick up'. A solid understanding of MVC is probably the best place to start.

I'm also surprised by the "JDBC is a POS" quip. JDBC is considered something of a gold standard when it comes to database connectivity.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

5. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Be happy that they are training you. Most companies don't do that.

6. AlmostThere macrumors 6502a

Agree entirely. JDBC bad? :eek: Compared to what?

The biggest headache I have had with Java EE is figuring out which of the many, many ways of doing anything (I am looking at you, persistence, XML and server configuration) was best / supported / standard, especially given the large amount of old java code floating about on the web and the over use of very similar acronyms and overlapping implementations.

Modern web frameworks came into existence for a reason.

The Head First EJB book might help make things more manageable.

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

A good start would be installing a database (I use PostgreSQL) and Glassfish 3 so that you get a feeling of the system and can play around with it in Eclipse.

8. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

I am very grateful as I have found out being trained at Oracle is not cheap :p

I shall have a play around I think with things suggested once I have finished the course. Started doing java in command line and compiling it there. Now doing all the java in Netbeans as doing it all in notepad and command line got boring haha. I presume the course also includes interaction with DB's, or at least how to create a connection and do a simple select command.

Is it possible to setup any type of SQL database on the computer (mac or windows)? Also tried using Netbeans PHP creator to see if it worked. It doesn't :(.

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Sure, as long as the database system has a JDBC 3 or 4 driver.

10. mrbash macrumors 6502

Yes it is possible. Oracle, MySQL even javaDB(Derby) are available on Mac/Win. My recommendation would be to use javaDB as it can be run as an embedded service from inside of NetBeans (i.e. you don't have to install anything).
    Netbeans has a number of visual builders tat make it easy to associate UI elements to your database. It even has a GUI builder for persistent entities.

The Netbeans PHP creator works quite well. I've been using it since 6.7, but if you are working with JEE, stick to JSF/JSPs.

11. ThaGrapist macrumors newbie

Maybe, but that didn't stop me from having to jump through hoops to get useful timestamps out of the MySQL database. Although, I suppose that may have had something to do with the implementation I was using.