Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps users in Belgium now have access to real-time transit information, offering information on whether a train is on time or possibly facing a delay, as reported by iCulture.

belgium-real-time-transit.png

Transit information has been available in Belgium since November of 2018; however, real-time data is new. With real-time information, users can now more easily plan their commutes based on actual transit run-times rather than simply what's scheduled.

Article Link: Belgium Gains Real-Time Transit Information for Apple Maps

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2017
I know for a fact that it was an easy algorithm. There is always delay =)

Konigi

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2017
Montréal, Québec
I see a lot of people complaining that Apple comes as late into this. We have this conversation each and every time they expand their maps. Yet I still prefer Apple Maps over Google Maps, where the former does integrate live transit features. To sum up:

- greater UI, aesthetics, smoother transitions
- more detailed maps (where available, IMO)
- greater integration within iOS, for instance ongoing directions shown on the logged out screen; but I suspect this is due to Apple not allowing certain API for third party app maps...
- better voice assistant
- much greater privacy, as far as I know

At the end it remains a matter of personal preference. I think it's just great to have many options. I regularly use the two depending on my needs. (And then the Transit app when it comes to urban transit.)

Yes, we all know Apple Maps still fall behind in a lot of things and areas. But it's coming, and I am sincerely looking forward to see the ongoing improvements. It gets really better each and every year.

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
I see a lot of people complaining that Apple comes as late into this. We have this conversation each and every time they expand their maps. Yet I still prefer Apple Maps over Google Maps, where the former does integrate live transit features. To sum up:

- greater UI, aesthetics, smoother transitions
- more detailed maps (where available, IMO)
- greater integration within iOS, for instance ongoing directions shown on the logged out screen; but I suspect this is due to Apple not allowing certain API for third party app maps...
- better voice assistant
- much greater privacy, as far as I know

At the end it remains a matter of preference. I think it's just great to have many options. I look forward to see continued improvements on Apple Maps!
Yes, but you live in Canada (so you have the fancy new Apple Maps)

I live in The Netherlands, which still has the bad old map. In my neighborhood it still shows an outline of a building that was demolished in 2010. In the town I used to live in it still shows a part of the neighborhood as a park (green) while it is not a park but just a block of houses.

I reported both multiple times but it has never been fixed.

Konigi

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2017
Montréal, Québec
Yes, but you live in Canada (so you have the fancy new Apple Maps)

I live in The Netherlands, which still has the bad old map. In my neighborhood it still shows an outline of a building that was demolished in 2010. In the town I used to live in it still shows a part of the neighborhood as a park (green) while it is not a park but just a block of houses.

I reported both multiple times but it has never been fixed.
I understand this, and it's a shame it's taking so long to be updated where you live! In your case, I would be using alternative maps, of course. Hopefully, as Belgium is getting updated, they are getting near to your place ;)

coolthings

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2020
Apple and Belgium are on a roll today. Apple Pay with ING and now this.

Will only start using Apple Maps once they start showing speed limit like Google Maps.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.