Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
As of today, I"m declaring it. My PowerBook has been seriously acting up of late. It's given me tons of "you need to restart your computer" bs errors lately, with increasing frequency. This is disgusting, and inexcusable, especially from a computer that's designed for professional use. Does anyoneahve any suggestions as to how to fix this? They're completely unpredictable, I'm afraid; I've had them happen trying to load CDs, just surfing the web, to sitting in class taking notes with only Word open. If anyone has suggestions, I'd be overjoyed to hear them; I really, really do not want to sell this computer, and give up. If no one here can help, I'll take it in to Apple if I have to, but I'm not paying them to fix something that's their fault to begin with, like this. And honestly, given the unpredictabilty of the problem, they probably won't even try to fix it.

bah-bah'd

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2006
have you upgraded your memory yourself? either way, run a memory test. 90% of problems I have had over the past 10 years lead back to memory. Even filesystem/disk errors, it originated in memory & controller issues...

Yoink~!~ what that guy said

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
I do have third party RAM, but these problems did not start happening until about a month ago, and I've had the RAM since December.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Can you pull out the RAM that you put in and check whether the kernel panics still occur?

RAM can be OK for a while and then a Software Update can, occasionally, cause problems. There was someone on the boards who couldn't upgrade to Tiger without pulling out his third party RAM since something didn't like it.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Meyvn said:
I do have third party RAM, but these problems did not start happening until about a month ago, and I've had the RAM since December.
Still, take it out and see if you still have stability problems.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Meyvn said:

My original PB config was 2x256 for 512. I replaced one of the 256's for a gig, and 3 months later the gig stick failed, but only half of it. The OS now sees 768mb of ram, and my computer acts REALLY weird. I'm getting the ram replaced soon.

Check to make sure the OS is showing all the ram you think you have. A Memory test doesn't really show any problems with my RAM, because I think the ram is flickering in and out.

Good Luck, and report back to us!
~Tyler

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
The OS has never had a problem showing me all my RAM, despite repeated checks of that at different times. All right. Running a memory test as we speak. It's most of the way through and so far so good.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
Meyvn said:
... It's most of the way through and so far so good.

Although maybe finding a memory problem would be a good thing...at least then you could stop looking for the problem...

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
mmmcheese said:
Although maybe finding a memory problem would be a good thing...at least then you could stop looking for the problem...

Honestly, that's correct. I would love to believe that there's nothing wrong with my laptop itself (other than being picky about RAM, which I already knew it was), but thus far I've already had so many problems with this Rev. E PB that I'm not expecting the RAM to be the problem.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
Meyvn said:
RAM test went fine. Anything else?

Take out the 3rd party RAM and run it for a few days and see if you still have the problem. If you do, swap the original memory for the 3rd party RAM and run for a few more days. You might be able to isolate it that way.

And as I mentioned before...reinstall the OS...it might seem a bit extreme, but sometimes software can get fouled up and cause weird problems. At worst, you're no better off. At best, it solves your problem.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
MacAficionado said:
AHT may pass, the RAM may be bad anyway.
The best way to figure it out is to take it out and use it for some time see if the kernel panic shows up again.
I can back this up. My PB a while ago was experiencing random crashes. AHT brought up nothing, but removing the RAM fixed it. This was also after having the RAM in for a while.

So yeah.

TAKE YOUR RAM OUT!!! :)

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
mmmcheese said:
Try reinstalling the OS (assuming you ruled out memory)?

Windows solution.....don't go there that fast ;)

Take the RAM out....create a separate user to see if there is any difference...sometimes it can be the user account that is $^&& up ;)

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
Platform said:

Take the RAM out....create a separate user to see if there is any difference...sometimes it can be the user account that is $^&& up ;)

Hence the "after you ruled out memory" memory part!

And I think not reinstalling an OS because you're too "proud" would be really stupid, especially if it turned out to be the problem. ANY system can become corrupt and cause all sorts of weird problems. If you can design a system that is bug free and immune to corruption, you'll basically have a licence to print money...until then, never assume software can't be at fault.

Which is worse...fight with a machine for months and eventually send it to Apple just to have them reinstall the OS and solve your problems...or reinstall it yourself and save yourself a bit of time and frustration?

He is looking for troubleshooting ideas....I am providing some.

esaleris

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Platform said:

Not that reinstalling Mac OS X is a pain. A good windows install + drivers + tweaks + application installs takes a good 20 hours for me. This includes tweaking Windows, manually deleting/uninstalling apps and updating them, creating an OS-safe profile (away from system disk), going through all the dialog boxes in Control Panel and major apps to set up preferences, and then ghosting the disk.

On Mac, it takes about 3 hours, and that already sets me up with the majority of my applications, because of iCal + iLife. And I just move the *.pref file if I feel like I like my settings for a particular app; if I feel it's causing problems, it just gets nixed.

It simply looks good out of the box, includes more out of the box, and runs better out of the box!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Meyvn said:
RAM test went fine. Anything else?

Which ram test did you do?

I'd recommend running memtest from the command line after a single user boot (command s).

memtest all 10 -L

Run it a number of times, ram problems sometimes don't show up if you only run it once. Start a test like this before you go to bed and let it run all night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.