Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nownot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
tx
i had to have my white macbook replaced several times so they gave me a black one to keep my happy ( i wasnt there for awhile). i took it to the apple store to get the lcd and invertor replaced and when he ran the serial he said " are you mr rodriguez" i said no, then he asked for my name and put it in the system. didnt think much of it till now but looking back that serial for the macbook was registered to someone else before me, which got me thinking they gave me a refurb when they switched out my white one without telling me. does anyone else see any other explination for my laptop to be registered to anyone else? should i be upset? true i paid for white and got black, but i also paid for new and most likely got used or as they put it "refreshed". thanks for any input.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
I would tend to think you received a refurbished unit. Given the length of serial numbers and the infinite possibilities, I have to imagine the likelihood of a typo or two returning anything other than an error. If it were really that easy, typing in the serial number to register software wouldn't be so tough.

nownot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
tx
ya and it had to bring up a black macbook, if it didnt he would of said "wrong computer" and he wouldnt of entered my name for it. but two questions, is there a way to call apple and check the history of the computer and should i be mad? well im kinda mad b/c it was suppose to be new a new machine and its looking like it wasnt. so i dunno.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
ya and it had to bring up a black macbook, if it didnt he would of said "wrong computer" and he wouldnt of entered my name for it. but two questions, is there a way to call apple and check the history of the computer and should i be mad? well im kinda mad b/c it was suppose to be new a new machine and its looking like it wasnt. so i dunno.

If somebody specifically said it would be a new machine and not a refurb, then you should complain.....beyond that, the hardware warranty gives Apple the option to repair and replace hardware with either new or used hardware.

If you have a refurb, it'll have a refurb serial number

nownot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
tx
well long story short they gave me my money back and told me i get certian %% in the store to get what i want. didnt have extra 400 on me at the time so i opted to get the balckmacbook which came out to be the same price as the white one once the discount was given. so i think i might call apple care and ask them to look it up. if so then ill ask what can be done if anything. ive had it since february but it would really suck if it was a used one.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Remember the story of the whining Mac Buyer here on MacRumors, they kept upgrading him and handing out freebies -- and at one point they took away all the upgrades and gave him his original purchase cash back.

Then he whined about losing out the difference between the original purchase and the machine they took away and cashed him out on.

---

They could have swapped your original machine for a refurb, to get an upgrade while doing it isn't a bad deal if you are happy with the machine.

However, if you were purchasing a new machine in store for a discount -- yell and scream. You might get a new iPod.

nownot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
tx
However, if you were purchasing a new machine in store for a discount -- yell and scream. You might get a new iPod.

yes thats what happened. gave me my money back b/c the white one kept annoying me and i wasnt happy, told me that i could get anything instore for a discount. so i got the black macbook instead of white. im happy but its the principal behind it that makes me angry. im not whining just it kinda urks me. might call tonight.

nownot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
tx
just called apple care, they said i was the only registered user for this serial number, i know this to be a lie b/c they guy changed the info right in front of me. she seemed really confused by what i was saying and might just have been lying. so i dunno i dont want to make a mountain out of a molehill but still ....

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Remember the story of the whining Mac Buyer here on MacRumors, they kept upgrading him and handing out freebies -- and at one point they took away all the upgrades and gave him his original purchase cash back.

Then he whined about losing out the difference between the original purchase and the machine they took away and cashed him out on.

LOL! No, I don't remember this, but I'd LOVE to read about it. I enjoy those kinds of stories...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.