Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Wow... I was skeptical at first, but after reading the rebate forms it seems to be legit. How/why do they do this? They don't seem to be making any money off of it...

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Have you ever filled out a mail-in rebate form? I think you need to be a lawyer to fill out some of them. According to the Washington Post, 15% of mail-in rebates are never turned in and of the ones that get submitted, I am sure that a good number get rejected for one reason or another. After you successfully jump through all of their hoops, it still takes them 10-12 weeks to get you your rebate. They make money holding your money, albeit not much on your $50 for 3 months with current interest rates but when they are holding 3,000 peoples $50 for 3 months, it can start to add up. You can find all sorts of places on the internet to get things "free" after rebate. Many sights are devoted to such things and they all make money or they wouldn't be around any more.

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
I know what you mean... I wondered the same thing. I have personally made out well on "free after rebate" deals. I probably have $300-400 worth of free stuff I've bought and got the money back on. In fact, about 2 weeks ago I bought a Free After Rebate iPod speaker "thing..." lol from MacConnection. This: http://www.macally.com/new/new_podwave.html

I saw both deals here: http://freeafterrebate.info/

It's easy to go nuts and spend a lot of $ on shipping for things you don't NEED though... so be disciplined. Don't be stupid. ;)

If you need it, or the shipping is free, go for it. If not, don't. ;)

DanTekGeek

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Denver, CO
I have this router, and it's crap. I am constantly having to re-set it. I know it is not my connetcion, because I have had 2 different ISP's and 3 different cable/dsl modems. I gues it would be ok for a small apartment, but otherwise, the range on this thing is abysmal.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Yes i've used a rebate before AND WILL NEVER DO SO AGAIN!!

Way too much hassle - Apple you should be ashamed of yourself, so called customer service.

Took me ages to get my money.

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
DanTekGeek said:
I have this router, and it's crap. I am constantly having to re-set it. I know it is not my connetcion, because I have had 2 different ISP's and 3 different cable/dsl modems. I gues it would be ok for a small apartment, but otherwise, the range on this thing is abysmal.
Is that why it's free? ;) hehe

Is there something wrong with the one you got? My friend has one and it works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.