Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Belkin has announced a lineup of new cases made for Apple's new iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3, including new keyboard cases and a variety of protective covers catered to the design of both tablets.

belkinipadair2ultimateprokeyboard-800x429.jpg
The QODE Ultimate Pro Keyboard for the iPad Air 2​
The QODE Ultimate Pro Keyboard for the iPad Air 2 ($149.99) features an improved keyboard layout that features the same amount of keys as a laptop, and also includes three brightness levels for backlighting. The keyboard is rated for up to one year of continuous battery life and also has adjustable landscape and portrait modes with two viewing angles.

belkinultimatekeyboardcase-800x538.png
The QODE Ultimate Keyboard for the iPad Air 2​
Belkin is also offering the QODE Ultimate Keyboard for the iPad Air 2 ($129.99), which features a foldable design, three adjustable viewing angles, and up to six months of battery life. The QODE Slim Style Keyboard ($99.99) for the iPad Air and iPad Air 2 offers a folio-style cover and Bluetooth keyboard in one that contains a built-in stand and flexible corner tabs.

belkinslimandstripe.jpg
Slim Style Cover and Slim Stripe Cover for iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3​
In addition to the keyboard cases, Belkin is also launching a variety of new covers for both the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 that are similar to Apple's own Smart Covers. Each cover can fold into a keyboard stand and features smart-wake technology. Made for the iPad Air 2 ($49.99) and iPad mini 3 ($39.99), the Slim Style Cover includes a curved, form-fitting design with a velvet finish, while the Stripe Cover for the iPad Air 2 ($39.99) and iPad mini 3 ($34.99) comes with a classic folio style. Belkin is also offering a Classic Cover for the iPad mini 3 ($29.99) that features a slim two-tone design and a Chambray Cover for the iPad Air 2 ($39.99) that features a folio style with a chambray finish.

belkinclassicandchambray.jpg
Classic Cover for the iPad mini 3 and Chambray Cover for the iPad Air 2​
Belkin's new protective covers for the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 are available to order now at its official website. Belkin's QODE Ultimate Pro Keyboard Case and the QODE Ultimate Keyboard Case for the iPad Air 2 will be available starting in December.

Article Link: Belkin Announces Keyboard Cases and Folio Covers for iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
i bought 2 ipad keyboards, they're all sitting in the garage. realized I just can't work on the iPad.

This thought seems to be inline with everyone talking about how useless the iPad camera is earlier today.

It's times like these you realise that the iPad is a consumption tool, not a creation tool.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
This is what makes that thin design kinda redundant. Most people put their iPad into some sort of case which acts as a stand as well. You don't notice the design of the product.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
These cases won't fit.

I have one and it has a plastic inlay so it will look thinner with the new air 2.

They have just renamed these cases on the website to say it will for air 2 but the fittings will fall short as the new ipad is thinner.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Not once have I used my iPad and thought to myself "I wish I had a physical keyboard". With it's limited functionality for my needs (compared to the likes of the Microsoft Surface) it just doesn't command it.

I usually reach for my Mac if I need to do anything more challenging than surf the internet, reply to a couple of emails, read a document or play a game...

liegate

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2014
Not bad. If I decide to buy the iPad Air 2, which I probably will, this is the one accessory I will get. :apple:

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
These cases won't fit.

I have one and it has a plastic inlay so it will look thinner with the new air 2.

They have just renamed these cases on the website to say it will for air 2 but the fittings will fall short as the new ipad is thinner.

Yeah, they won't fit right.

I have Apple's old Smart Case, for the iPad 2/3/4. The iPad 3/4 are thicker than the 2, so the Smart Case has a gap and the iPad is a little loose fitting, not to mention the extra bulk from having empty space around the iPad 2.

These devices are the same way. Many look like they "clip" onto the iPad. How does it fit the thicker iPad Air and thinner iPad Air 2 as well?

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I have no problem with a physical keyboard option for the iPad. People complain in every article talking about an iPad keyboard, but companies keep making them so someone must keep buying them :) I don't usually need it, but it's nice if I need to do something with ssh or some kind of long form writing. I usually bring the keyboard when I go on trips (and I do not bring a laptop). It seems like my logitech ultrathin keyboard cover for ipad air might fit the Air 2...

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
W/o a trackpad this is quite useless.

The only thing I miss when typing a lot on the ipad is a way to move the cursor around in a better/faster way then pressing on the screen and waiting for the magnifying glass to come up and show me what I selected, underneath my finger..

Typing on the screen is not a problem, and a cheap-plastic keyboard will not enhance the experience much. Just ads weight.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Terrible Design & Zagg Copycat

If your gonna get a keyboard, Zagg is the only one that makes them well and priced appropriately. This looks like junk, and a December delivery for $149 bucks! Zag will have one out in two weeks!

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
This story is all screwed up. The captions inappropriately attribute the silver case to the Air and Air 2 when the link clearly just says the Air 2.

Further, the link provided to the Slim Keyboard is not the right model (the link is for the Air and not Air 2), which should be linking to this one instead: http://www.belkin.com/us/F5L174-Belkin/p/P-F5L174

The latter link uses elastic bands instead of the "snap in" method people are saying would never work with both Air and Air 2.

----------

If your gonna get a keyboard, Zagg is the only one that makes them well and priced appropriately. This looks like junk, and a December delivery for $149 bucks! Zag will have one out in two weeks!
Clearly you've never used one of the Belkin models. I have one for the original retina iPad and the Air and both are very solid. I compared MANY different keyboard folios for my Air and the Belkin won out on every level. The Zagg cases feel very flimsy, particularly the part that holds the iPad itself. And the keyboard on the Zagg had too many things moved or combined on keys that made it more difficult to use.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Has anyone used the ClamCase Pro for iPad Mini? I might be picking up an iPad Air 2 for myself, and my wife would get the iPad Mini Retina. She has mentioned wanting a keyboard for it as she has recently started her own daycare and needs to do some basic document editing for contracts, emailing parents, and tracking expenses and income in a spreadsheet. I've tried iPad Mini keyboards in the store and found them too cramped for my hands, but I'm not sure about hers as they're smaller. Any average sized women (5'3" - 5'6") have trouble using these Mini Keyboards? It would be for her birthday present, but maybe I should still have her try it at the store? I don't think I've seen the ClamCase Pro in the store, but I would think others would be similar in size.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Did I read that right? The Belkin ultimate battery life lasts up to a YEAR?! :eek: That's crazy. I doubt anyone is going to go more than a few weeks, maybe a month at most without wanting to charge it just incase... but that's crazy. Now we just need technology to progress so our phone batteries last a year :p

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Has anyone used the ClamCase Pro for iPad Mini? I might be picking up an iPad Air 2 for myself, and my wife would get the iPad Mini Retina. She has mentioned wanting a keyboard for it as she has recently started her own daycare and needs to do some basic document editing for contracts, emailing parents, and tracking expenses and income in a spreadsheet. I've tried iPad Mini keyboards in the store and found them too cramped for my hands, but I'm not sure about hers as they're smaller. Any average sized women (5'3" - 5'6") have trouble using these Mini Keyboards? It would be for her birthday present, but maybe I should still have her try it at the store? I don't think I've seen the ClamCase Pro in the store, but I would think others would be similar in size.

I love my ClamCase Pro. The hinge is pretty stiff though.

You should let her try some out. I prefer the laptop design myself because it's easier to use in most situations and not just when at a table.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I love my ClamCase Pro. The hinge is pretty stiff though.

You should let her try some out. I prefer the laptop design myself because it's easier to use in most situations and not just when at a table.

Thanks for replying. Is yours for the mini? Can you type on it adequately? She has average girl sized hands. I know it won't be fast, just needs to be decent. No novel writing, just some email, contract updates/specifics and simple spreadsheets. I like the hinge design of the ClamCase Pro because she watches Netflix and Hulu on it and I like how you can flip it around. We had a case with a big kickstand for the original iPad and she loved that.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Thanks for replying. Is yours for the mini? Can you type on it adequately? She has average girl sized hands. I know it won't be fast, just needs to be decent. No novel writing, just some email, contract updates/specifics and simple spreadsheets. I like the hinge design of the ClamCase Pro because she watches Netflix and Hulu on it and I like how you can flip it around. We had a case with a big kickstand for the original iPad and she loved that.

Yeah, mine's for the Mini.

My hands are a bit larger than average. Yeah, I don't have a problem typing on it and do so pretty fast. There are some differences you have to get used to, like the tab and enters key being much smaller, and they had to move some of the right side keys around, but that's pretty much it.

Yeah, I like the hinge design too, I just wish it wasn't so stiff! It doesn't take a lot of force to push it back, but it's when you push it forward that it does. At least that's my only issue with it a few months in.

But yeah, again, you might want her to go try some out.

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah, mine's for the Mini.

My hands are a bit larger than average. Yeah, I don't have a problem typing on it and do so pretty fast. There are some differences you have to get used to, like the tab and enters key being much smaller, and they had to move some of the right side keys around, but that's pretty much it.

Yeah, I like the hinge design too, I just wish it wasn't so stiff! It doesn't take a lot of forge push it back, but it's when you push it forward that it does. At least that's my only issue with it a few months in.

But yeah, again, you might want her to go try some out.

Thank you for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.