Belkin Announces Qode Ultimate Lite Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Belkin today debuted a new product that joins its lineup of Qode keyboard cases for the iPad Air 2, introducing the Qode Ultimate Lite Keyboard Case. The Qode Ultimate Lite is similar in design to the Qode Ultimate Keyboard Case and the Qode Ultimate Pro Keyboard Case, but it features a sleeker build that's much lighter.

The Qode Ultimate Lite Keyboard case weighs in at 370 grams, which is approximately 150 grams lighter than the company's top-of-the-line Qode Ultimate Pro Keyboard Case. The Ultimate Lite features an aluminum finish on the keyboard base, nicely spaced keys that replicate the feel of a MacBook keyboard, and a folio design that protects the iPad when the keyboard is not in use.

It also features built-in magnets that offer multiple viewing angles, and with an auto on/off feature that preserves battery life, the Ultimate Lite will last for six months on a single charge.

The Qode Ultimate Lite Keyboard Case for the iPad Air 2 can be purchased from the Belkin website for $99.99.

Article Link: Belkin Announces Qode Ultimate Lite Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2

Reactions: appledefenceforce

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Look good. One of the better looking and designed keyboard cases out there. My wife loves her Clamcase, which I think is probably the best (but most expensive). But you know what I want? A slim keyboard that just slides into a small centered pouch on the back of an Apple Smart Case type design. Or maybe the bottom of the keyboard is leather and the top attaches magnetically to the back of the iPad case? Then I can leave it off if I don't need to bring a keyboard and can keep it super light and portable, or whip it out when I need it on the go. I don't need a keyboard with six months of battery life. I just need one to last through a few meetings during the week. Keep it super slim and compact! I don't often find myself needing a keyboard with my iPad, but it would be handy during the week and occasionally I really need one.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
It also features Belkin's signature swivel design, letting it be used in portrait or landscape mode with built-in magnets that offer multiple viewing angles. There's an auto on/off feature that preserves battery life, and the Ultimate Lite will last for six months on a single charge.
No it doesn't

Reactions: snowmoon

bobdgil

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2006
No it doesn't
Yeah there are a few errors in this write-up. This case neither works in portrait orientation, nor is it made of aluminum. Unlike other Qode cases, this one has an "aluminum finish," which means plastic that looks kind of like aluminum.

Reactions: snowmoon

bluespark

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Given the battery life estimate, I fear that this suffers from the same issue that makes the Qode Ultimate Pro rather annoying in daily use -- the bluetooth connection goes to sleep very quickly, all the time. If you haven't used your iPad for a few minutes (if, for example, you're taking notes and stop to listen for a couple of minutes), you'll have to press buttons on the keyboard for several seconds to reestablish your connection. Other keyboard case makers trade a bit of advertised battery life to make a product that stays connected longer.

That said, the Qode is otherwise excellent.

bluespark

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Nice looking but, if it's a laptop you want, for Christ's sake, get a laptop.
To use any iOS touch-screen functionality with these types of add-on keyboards, you'll still end up with 'gorilla arm'.
These keyboard cases are not necessarily for people who should be using a laptop instead. The iPad is a much better device than a laptop for much of what I do, but I often need to type fairly lengthy passages on it. Pairing it with a keyboard case gets me exactly what I'm after. (FWIW, I have a Macbook Air as well, but I use the iPad/keyboard case combination much more frequently.)

arobert3434

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2013
I think this is the first keyboard case (not just half-cover) that's actually lighter than the iPad itself. Woohoo!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Thanks, everyone...edited the post to clarify the aluminum issue a bit and remove the incorrect mention of swivel support.

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
The non-lite version had a magnet that attached to the case to the keyboard cover which allowed for portrait orientation. Does this lite version work the same way?

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Look good. One of the better looking and designed keyboard cases out there. My wife loves her Clamcase, which I think is probably the best (but most expensive). But you know what I want? A slim keyboard that just slides into a small centered pouch on the back of an Apple Smart Case type design. Or maybe the bottom of the keyboard is leather and the top attaches magnetically to the back of the iPad case? Then I can leave it off if I don't need to bring a keyboard and can keep it super light and portable, or whip it out when I need it on the go. I don't need a keyboard with six months of battery life. I just need one to last through a few meetings during the week. Keep it super slim and compact! I don't often find myself needing a keyboard with my iPad, but it would be handy during the week and occasionally I really need one.
Check out the Microsoft Universal Keyboard
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Universal-Mobile-Keyboard-Layout/dp/B00KA95UNS

gerbercj

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2015
Yonkers, NY
Can someone confirm that it's a swivel case since nowhere on Belkin's site or in the pictures does it show a portrait mode.
I am using the Belkin keyboard with my iPad Air 2 in portrait mode right now. It works great. I'm really loving this keyboard so far...

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
I received this keyboard as a Christmas gift for my daughter. First correction to some who had posted in this thread, this is NOT the Belkin Qode Ultimate Pro. The Pro has the magnetically attach cover that allows the iPad to be used in both landscape and portrait modes.

This (Belkin Qode Ultimate Lite keyboard) is a one-piece case. I hope to have some time to create a video walkthru of the case, but in the meantime, here are some of the highlights/lowlights:

• Super thin. This keyboard case is thinner than some non-keyboard cases that I own. But very rigid... more rigid than much thicker keyboard COVERS that I own.
  • Keyboard. Actual keys, decent travel, excellent feel. Dedicated iPad function keys. Key placement and size are very good (but I'll need to spend more time with the keyboard to see if anything comes up during extended typing sessions)
  • Two positions. There are two magnetic "tracks" that allow the iPad to be set at different viewing angles. Enough of a difference to be helpful.
  • Auto-on. The keyboard automatically turns on when the ipad is set in one of the two magnetic strip positions. So convenient, so cool, so "why isn't this standard are ALL keyboard covers?". :)
  • Folded positions. The keyboard can be folded back (with the keys exposed on the back) or Z-folded so that the keys are covered by the back of the iPad. Because the keyboard is so thin it is very useable even when Z-folded. This is important if you plan on using the iPad as a tablet (since this is a case and not a cover, it isn't designed to constantly insert/remove the ipad from the case)
  • Quality of case. This is also supposed to be a case to protect the iPad. When closed, the magnets are strong enough to keep it securely closed. It probably won't protect it much from a serious fall, but for the incidental bangs and jostling, it'll do fine.
I'm familiar with the "gadget glow" that can accompany any new gadget acquisition, but I have so many different keyboards, cases, and covers for various generations of iPads that I can make a pretty objective evaluation.

Barring any manufacturing defect or poor quality material (I haven't noticed anything but sometimes it takes time for these things to show up), this appears to be an outstanding option for anyone owning an iPad Air 2 who is looking for a keyboard case that minimally impedes on its use as a tablet. It's going to be permanently attached to my Air 2. This, and another of my Christmas gifts (DotPen stylus) will easily serve my tablet-leaning-converged-device needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.