Belkin Auto Kit...Anything Comparable?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by agentphish, Sep 30, 2008.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I have a Belkin Auto Kit that will not charge my iPod Touch 2g. It still plays music through it w/o any issues. Just won't charge.

It kinda made me mad at first, but then again I've had that thing for almost 5 years and through 4 ipods. So I guess I can't get mad. I just hope they come out with something comparable.

What makes this nice is that it's a normal charger that plugs into your cig lighter, but then on the side of it it has a 3.5mm plug that you can output with a 3.5mm stereo cord right into your cars aux jack if you have one. It also seems to have a small pre-amp built in because there's an additonal volume boost knob just above the plug in spot.

If anyone knows of something that is comparable, please, PLEASE let me know.

2. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

Nothing yet huh...again, part of me curses Apple for changing things, but it has to do with them phasing out FireWire charging abilities, and manufacturers not abiding to their warnings that they were doing it...Probably so they could make more money, so it's really the manufacturers I should be cursing!!!

3. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

Thanks, but I am looking for a solution more like the Belkin product I have currently. Not an FM transmitter as you linked to.

The product I have, as I stated, uses wired 3.5mm (standard headphone jack style) stereo male to male cord that plugs direct from the side of the charger into my AUX port on my stereo.

If you look at the enlarged pic in the link I posted you will see what i mean by the stereo port in the side of the charger.

Thanks

4. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

Possible solution...

I have that same Belkin Auto Kit and it has spoiled me. I love only having to plug in one cable and getting power and line-out audio to my car. I have been looking and looking for something like it, and until today I couldn't find anything.

Today I came across this USB charger with audio out. It says it is not reccomended for the iPod touch or the iPhone though. I don't see why it wouldn't work with them though. It is a standard USB connection and it also has the audio out. Anyone ever tried this one before with an iPhone or iPod touch?

https://www.sendstation.com/us/products/smartcharge/

The same website also has this option that could work. You could get the pocket dock and a generic USB charger and connect the two together. Then you could just unplug the pocket dock and leave it in the car with the charger. Anybody tried this one?

https://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-usb.html

Hopefully one of these will work for you.
    MacAddict16

5. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

I found out why it is not recommended with the iPod touch and iPhone. The audio out only works with the shuffle. So this one is not what you are looking for. Hopefully the otherone would work for you though. If you decide to get the pocketdock you have to let me know how it works out.

MacAddict16

6. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

There is a product by Scosche. It's the only thing I've found that would let me continue to use my current setup, bit steep at 30 bucks though.

http://www.scosche.com/passport

In other news, the touch will charge in my iHome IH9 clock radio and also in my old Belkin TuneSync dock/5 port usb hub....Not too surprised by the iHome, but definitely by the Belkin.