Belkin Car Charger new iPhone @ Target

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by kalexn, Sep 30, 2012.

1. kalexn macrumors 6502

So I was in Target today and saw this:

It says it is for the new iPhone. It did not have a cord with it but instead was just had the adapter and then a USB port so you could use a lightening cable with it.

Hopefully these can be used and also maybe this means they will definitely allow other people to make the cords/adapters etc.

Attached Files:

2. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I was in the Apple Store on Friday. They have those but no cord. That means that we have to carry the cord that we have at home. I like the double version that charges that iPhone (4S and earlier) along with the iPad. I'll probably end up waiting until the new iPad comes out, new connector on that and then new car charges.

3. Hooterville macrumors 6502a

Hooterville

4. WJKramer macrumors 6502

iPhone 1 amp

iPad 2.1 amp

5. Smigit macrumors regular

Unless I've missed something, this has nothing to do with the adapters authentication chips. The adapter there would be no different to any other car adapter, it just outputs power via USB the same as existing units. Keep in mind you can charge your phone on a PC that was released years before lightning...a special chip isn't required to charge the phone on the end-point device (PC, Car adapter, Wall charger).

6. kalexn thread starter macrumors 6502

ah that does make sense :) I guess we are just going to have to buy extra $19 lightening cords. :(

7. Senseotech macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

We don't even know for sure that its an authentication chip.

8. Joewat64 macrumors regular

Both of my old iPhone USB chargers that I have had since 3GS model work just fine. Not sure I understand what the big deal is?

9. Jman13 macrumors 68000

$20? I got mine (same thing, but 2 amps with 2 USB ports) for $3.50 at MicroCenter.

10. Myrr macrumors member

Yes this would be a complete waste of money...USB car chargers are cheap and everywhere. If the cable works for your phone, it doesn't care where or how it gets the power so long as it gets enough amps.

11. Laimbeersux macrumors 6502

Agreed, I got the same thing on Amazon for like $5, no need to buy this piece of trash for that price when you can get the same thing for 1/4 the price on Amazon or almost any other electronics retailer.

BTW, this is a misleading thread title. This thread could be titled "Charger for Droid X", "Charger for Droid Razr", "Charger for Samsung Galaxy S3", or any other electronics device that can charge via a USB port.

12. Sb1065 macrumors member

can we get a link please?

13. Mumford macrumors regular

14. chele519 macrumors regular

I picked one of those up last week at Walmart although it said 2.1amp and Ipad along with Iphone and Ipod and it was $2 cheaper.

I have a question about some of the comments here about buying these cheap on Amazon. When looking on there for reviews, a lot of them say that the 2.1amp are not charging the phone at that because something inside needs to be soldered together. Apparently it's fine until you start trying to run mapping and then it can't keep up with the draw on the battery. The phone supposedly only sees it as a USB charger and does not draw as much as an AC charger. How can you tell, do you just wait and see if the battery level drops while it is plugged in and maps is running?

15. Laimbeersux macrumors 6502

The price has gone up a little bit since I bought it, but this is the exact one I bought that charges my iPhone 5 just fine, around 1.5% or so per minute. Here's the link, $12 now, I paid less, between $5-$7, so just watch it and it'll change eventually or bite the bullet and pay $12.

edit.....just looked it up, I paid $5.45. They are raising the price probably based on the demand for this kind of product, probably based on the iPhone 5's connector.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042B9U8Q/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00