Belkin Cinema folios

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by mikee336, Mar 20, 2012.

1. mikee336 macrumors member

2. alexxn macrumors regular

I just bought one and the sleep function does work.

3. AppleOwl macrumors member

4. alexxn macrumors regular

5. pbateman.as macrumors member

pbateman.as

Ordered one off Amazon and should get it on Thursday. Hope the sleep/awake works.

6. mikee336 thread starter macrumors member

Can you fold the cover all the way back around to the back of the iPad for easy one handed (left hand) holding?

7. alexxn macrumors regular

Yep, sure can.

8. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

Which model of this did they have in store? I might have to check it out.

9. alexxn macrumors regular

10. thebaron862 macrumors newbie

I picked up the black / grey cinema stripe folio last night after finding out the lexington auto lock doesn't work and cancelling the order. This case looks great, works great, and the lock/unlock works perfectly. This is by far the best case I have seen so far and well worth the $40.

11. pbateman.as, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

pbateman.as macrumors member

pbateman.as

Mine came today and it's excellent. Nice quality, sleep/awake works fine and multiple viewing positions. Definitely a keeper.

Also received the Incipio Lexington and it's going back. Not even close to the Belkin in quality and versatility.

12. gowanis, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

gowanis macrumors 6502

Anyone else have an opinion on the Belkin Cinema Folios ? Reviews in this thread seem positive. My local Radio Shack did not have it (or any new iPad cases for that matter), so I'll probably have to order from Belkin without seeing it first hand. Did anyone find this case in a store locally other than Radio Shack?

13. gowanis macrumors 6502

After a LOT of searching, I was able to find the Belkin Cinema Dot Portfolio at a Verizon store:

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=650141

Overall, I am happy with the purchase. This is clearly a "newer" case and the new iPad fits well. There isn't a complete backing tray, but rather 4 rubbery corners that the device pops into. It fits well - each corner properly comes over the edge of the device and it feels secure. The magnets work properly. The "stand" feature offers various angles and is sufficient.

The outer material is nothing special; I wanted the leather but they did not have it. Its sort of a leathery cloth combo feel.

I'll be returning my defective Targus VersaVu (since they are sending me a free replacement). If I were to compare the two cases, the Targus is clearly a better case IF the magnets worked and the device fit properly in the tray. The replacement Targus I'll be getting will have working magnets, but if they don't change the tray, I won't be happy with the fit. That's where the Belkin is clearly better. But the Targus is more "substantial" and also has the rotation feature for a portrait view stand, which I will miss with the Belkin. I also think I'll probably get a slip case to use with the Belkin for maximum protection when I am commuting to work. The Targus alone offers sufficient protection.

FYI it was only $39.99 at Verizon (vs. $49.99 on the Belkin site)

14. Tallboy13 macrumors newbie

I just bought the stripe folio and the autowake function doesn't work. How do you guys have yours set up?

15. gowanis macrumors 6502

no special setup. it just works. maybe your magnets are reversed?

16. Tallboy13 macrumors newbie

still doesn't work. how do you check if your magnets are reversed?

17. gowanis macrumors 6502

i'm not totally up to speed on the polarity issues, but if you flip the case to test it, you might able to confirm your problem. Or maybe the material of the case is too thick and you'd need to flip the magnets inside the case. i've read about people making a small cut in cases to flip magnets, but i'd just return it for another one.

18. Tallboy13 macrumors newbie

yea i'll just return it, should have brought my ipad with me to test it. Thanks

19. Tissie macrumors member

Bad review

I am also considering the Cinema Leather Folio, but I found this bad reveiw on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h60l1BeJ6Ys

Do any of you who have the product experience the claimed issues from the video?

20. gowanis macrumors 6502

I watched the video and tried it. There is definitely an issue there, but my experience was not as severe. If you move the cover around you definitely will get the on-off-on-off thing. However, if you leave it alone and place it in a bag or briefcase, I don't think it will be a big problem. You can always turn off the magnetic on/off in settings, which is what I'll probably do. For me, the snap in fit to the case was most critical (and that the case can work as a stand), so I'll probably keep it. I also have a free Targus VersaVu on the way, so I'll see how that works out also. Seems like there is no perfect solution out there.

21. Tissie macrumors member

Thx for trying it out. Not happy about the result. Maybe i'll start looking more in direction of the Targus Click-in or Vuscape.